portable/temporary fencing for chickens

Mrs. Mucket

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Wondering whether we need electronet or if sturdy plastic net fencing would do...
We have about an acre of grass we'd like to let our chickens range on spring through fall, moving them around from time to time. We have two Maremma livestock guardian dogs that patrol the entire area, so we don't have to worry about most predators. We would like to confine the chickens somewhat because of ongoing projects and to keep our two flocks separate. We have been using tractors but would rather give the chickens more space and freedom.

What would you recommend? Pros and cons?
Does electric netting deter chickens from trying to fly out? (Do they get zapped in the process?)
Can you put deer netting across the top of electric netting (to avoid predators from the sky)?

Thanks...

I use snow fence --green is nicer on the eyes. And I love it because you can change it's shape or location really fast. I do have a barred rock who is a houdini so you need to secure the bottom edges (rocks, stakes, boards) if you won't be home. I haven't found enough stuff to cover all the space on mine so they are out when I'm home. I'd put their coop in the area you are surrounding or a mock coop with all the comforts of home. Include space with shade and cover at least parts of it with bird netting it keeps the hawks out--tie white cloth or string to it to make it visible to them and then they know they don't have enough room for a swoop and run

Back
Top Bottom