Portland, TN- no chickens within city limits?

ilazria

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
I'm still researching whether or not to get chickens, and have hit a major brick wall. I called to see about the laws regarding keeping chickens, and was told it's against code to keep chickens within city limits. This has me a bit baffled, as there are farm fields behind and all along one side of our sub-division, a cow pasture next to one of those fields, and a home with horses practically directly across the street from the main entrance to our sub-division. I live out in the country! It's at least a 30 minute drive to get to any major city from here! Anyone on here from Portland TN, or has anyone been in a similar situation and have some advice? All I want is just 2-4 chickens to help take care of the bugs, fertilize my garden, and provide a few fresh eggs. Maybe there's a way to get a permit or exemption or something?

I know lots of people keep them illegally if your neighbours are nice and you don't have rooster I can't see it can hurt
wink.png

Getting them when it is illegal could lead to heartbreak and fines later when you have to get rid of them. Much better to follow the proper procedures to determine that they are or are not illegal, and if not allowed, to go through whatever variance procedure if necessary to legally keep them.

First, find out whther you ARE within the corporate limits of the city. Then find out if there is leeway for a few hens as pets, or if a certain amount of property will allow them. Zoning makes a difference. Also, does your subdivision have any rules or deed restrictions related to keeping poultry or livestock?

Here's the zoning map for your city. http://www.cityofportlandtn.gov/getdoc/82685a2c-64ff-4aec-a142-a7d1083bdae9/Zoning_Map_01_11
First
and foremost, find out if you're really within city limits, and also what both you and your neighbors are zoned. If you're Residential surrounded by Agricultural, you can probably get your zoning changed, but it's a $100 fee just to have them discuss it. Unfortunately, your planning commission fails at building a website properly and hasn't correctly posted links to the zoning ordinances. Call them and find out if you can get a copy of those ordinances. You need to look at them yourself, not hear from them what they say. You have the right to see these published.

If you are an incorporated sub-division, and the surrounding farm & pasture land is not, that would explain the different standards. You village/city should have a map of the corporate boundary.

According to that map, I'm definitely in city limits. Such a lovely, meandering boundary
barnie.gif
As my house is in the middle of a dead end road, with new homes being built on what used to be a farm field right behind the houses across the street, I doubt I can make a case for changing my zoning. Maybe I can find some local farmers who want to take their chickens on a field trip... I know I'm not up for the challenges of trying to change local laws.

Also not seeing anything within that copy of the ordinance saying no chix in city limits. In fact, why go through all the trouble of telling folk not to let them run loose if they can't be had at all? I agree: call whoever you talked to before, and have them cite a specific ordinance, so you can look it up. It sounds like you're going to be good to go, unless we're looking at an old version of the ordinances.

Huh, I swear when I looked at that yesterday, I saw something about not permitting chickens within city limits, but now I can't find that. The only thing I see is the one saying you can't have them in corporation limits, except in compliance to guidelines. I'll definitely have to call and get some clarification.

Back
Top Bottom