Portsmouth, VA Chicken Laws?

As far as I can see in the codes goats are not welcome either. The library has the book of codes for Portsmouth. It is quite thick. :)

I live in Port Norfolk area of Portsmouth, VA and would love to have chickens, I have friends in the city that have them but would like to have them without the fear of city intervention. Please let me know how and when I can help. I would love to be able to have our own hens. Thanks and God bless.

If you are on facebook go to "Portsmouth Hen Keepers" that will give you more info. and easier to keep updated for City Council meetings.

I know this is an older thread, if you are still here & interested then go to the The City Council meeting at 5PM tonight. They are reviewing the chicken law.
Until three years ago residents could keep up to six chickens. We did our research, checked the city web site and found the code, called to verify that it was correct, left a message as apparently the whole department was at a conference. We were very excited and started planning our coop and where to get chickens. We heard nothing for a full week and finally decided to get one chicken. We drove WAYYYYYYYYYYYY out to Suffolk. Brought home a cut chick the children named Louise. We were home for about three hours when the call came. Yes, you can have chickens, until May 1, then you have to get rid of them. SAY WHAT? So we drove Louise all the way back to Suffolk, where a very confused farmer said he could not take the chicken back. I said "don't you know someone who would want a free chick? Just find her a good home." I mean I wasn't asking for my money back, just can't keep her. And there went our hopes for chickens. But tonight we might just get a second chance :)

So I know this thread is super old, but I thought that I would give an update in case anyone comes back looking for information about chicken laws here:

The city council recently voted to allow backyard chickens, so you are now allowed to keep up to six hens!

Yay, my chickens are legal now!! ;-)

EDIT:
Wow, I didn't notice there was more than one page when I posted that, and for some reason it stopped emailing me replies! It looks like there are a lot of chicken heads here :)

EDIT #2:
So I just went back and read the whole thread..it looks like I have you guys to thank for chickens being legal! Thank you, you guys rock!

On a side note, does anyone have any currently laying chickens they're looking to sell? I'm trying to get 1-2 more. Thanks!

Last edited:
I am just starting the push to get backyard chickens here in Cape Charles, on the Eastern Shore. We've had our 6 hens for 8 months now, and just got "the letter" from the town. Even though we live in the residential district, zoned R-1, we are apparently violating an ordinance forbidding "agricultural activities." If ever there were a more perfect fit, it is here! What a valuable contrast to the nasty industrial chicken houses here on the Shore. Wish me luck!

Hello I live in Portsmouth I have chickens I went to city hall and got a permit I paid $25 or 30 dollars the look to the size of my property and gave me a permit for 4 chickens no one came to check I just wanted to make it legal You have to be the owner of the property or have your landlord to agree.
my neighbors will recieve letters informing then of your desire to raise chuckens, and that we weren't allow to have a rooster

Hello all. I am new to this site, and new to Portsmouth, but have wanted chickens for a while. Now that my husband and I finally bought a house, I am hoping to make my chicken dreams come true, haha. We bought in Craddock (a new construction) and have a full fenced backyard. We have one neighbor on one side of us, an empty home for sale next to us and some homes behind us, but I'm not sure if they're occupied or are renos. Our next door neighbor seems to be a nice lady, so hopefully if I bribe her with fresh eggs, she won't mind a few hens next door.

From what goodchicks posted above, it seems keeping chickies on my property shouldn't be an issue, which I am super excited about. I'm wondering if any of you local P-town chicken owners can...for lack of better term...take me under your wing to help me get some ideas as towards coops, feed, good laying breeds, etc. I've never owned my own chickens, but I did work on a farm a while back in PA that had 75 Rhode Island Reds and from what I remember, they were pretty good layers and "easy keepers". I've been a horse girl for 20 years, so I am totally ok with the upkeep needed for birds. My husband says he is on board for me to get chickens as well, but I don't know if he realizes how serious I am about this. I am hoping to get some chickens this spring so we have time to prepare and get thru winter before taking on some hens.

I saw that someone on here started a Portsmouth chickens facebook group/page, so i'll be looking that up too. Thanks in advance :)

Back
Top Bottom