Positive for Mycoplasma Synoviae, Coryza and Bronchitis

Kims-Little-Zoo

Songster
Jul 28, 2021
California
Just had my 1 yo Cochin die and sent for necropsy. Came back positive for MS, Coryza and Bronchitis. I know even if I treat the rest of the flock they can remain carriers. I’ve got chicks I hatched out that have not been exposed to the one that died and I practice strict biosecurity when it comes to my chicks.
1. Do I have to cull the entire flock or can I test and only cull the positive ones?
2. Can you truly get rid of the diseases and have a healthy flock after?
None of the rest of the flock are showing any symptoms.

TIA for any advice you can give

Your whole flock will eventually be infected with these diseases. You have two choices: Cull your flock or keep a closed flock. If you decide to close your flock; that means no new birds in, no birds out to be given away nor sold including chicks if they survive. MS can be passed through eggs to the chicks.
You must maintain strict biosecurity as these diseases can be easily transmitted via your person and clothing, equipment etc...
There is no treatment for Infectious Bronchitis since it is a virus and is spread quickly through a flock. Coryza requires an antibiotic in combination with a sulfa drug. Tylan will treat MS but surviving birds are carriers for life and will easily spread the disease to existing birds and new birds.

If this happened in my flock, I would cull my flock and bury them deep in the ground. I will not nursemaid a sick flock and pump antibiotics down their throat and still have sick birds while tossing eggs in the garbage IF they lay eggs at all. It's not worth the time and effort.
Then sanitize everything including inside coops, brooders, feeders, waterers etc...and repopulate in one year with chicks from a reputable hatchery.
I'm sorry your going through this. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Your whole flock will eventually be infected with these diseases. You have two choices: Cull your flock or keep a closed flock. If you decide to close your flock; that means no new birds in, no birds out to be given away nor sold including chicks if they survive. MS can be passed through eggs to the chicks.
You must maintain strict biosecurity as these diseases can be easily transmitted via your person and clothing, equipment etc...
There is no treatment for Infectious Bronchitis since it is a virus and is spread quickly through a flock. Coryza requires an antibiotic in combination with a sulfa drug. Tylan will treat MS but surviving birds are carriers for life and will easily spread the disease to existing birds and new birds.

If this happened in my flock, I would cull my flock and bury them deep in the ground. I will not nursemaid a sick flock and pump antibiotics down their throat and still have sick birds while tossing eggs in the garbage IF they lay eggs at all. It's not worth the time and effort.
Then sanitize everything including inside coops, brooders, feeders, waterers etc...and repopulate in one year with chicks from a reputable hatchery.
I'm sorry your going through this. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you for the advice. I know I should cull the entire flock I just have a hard time when no one is showing any signs of being sick. It was just the one bird that looked a little off I separated her and by the next day she was gone. As of now there have been no other birds showing any signs of illness and I’ve been checking every bird daily. If they were showing signs and sick I would have no problem culling them but when you look at them and they all look fine it’s a little hard for me to justify culling them. As of now obviously it’s a closed flock as I’m not going to infect others with this and I’m not going to give antibiotics to everyone. I think I’ll give it some time and see if the rest start showing signs and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom