Shabana

Songster
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
South Yorkshire, England
My Coop
My Coop
It's all my fault :(

I was slow to move my silkie roo "blizzard" to be with my 'bigger girls' and I think he mounted Mabel who is a bantam black orp and maybe she fell or twisted but I found her laid in the mud unable to get up.

I've bathed her, blown dry her, and she is now sat in my cat bed.
She's tucking into her food, she can hold my finger with both feet and she's preening but she can't walk.
Individually her legs seem ok in as much as they aren't swollen and move fine.
If I pick her up tho or move her she clucks her am in pain type of cluck.
She's on infant paracetamol and tylan which I've given her just in case.
She seems pretty settled to be fair. As long as she is still. Her poop is fine.
Has anyone else been in this position ?
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou, love
Shabana x

Little bit more info :

She can shuffle to rearrange where she wants to face. It's uncomfortable tho when she does this. She makes upset noises.
Her appetite has not diminished and she continues to trough. :)
She has garlic powder in her food which is small layers pellets, corn and seed mix with grit and shell.
She has a seaweed additive.
Because she's poorly she's been getting fishy cat food as a protein boost and some greens and apple. Oh and mealworms (dried) and a bit of cheese.

Am I right to think this type if injury can heal ?
This is a very special hen to me. She is a almost 2 yr old mother of 12 and totally a lap chicken. She is loving and trusting.
Her beautiful character is responsible for every other chicken I now own... Now up to almost 30 not including my Easter hatch if 8.

Please someone give me some good news :(

Im not sure how to post a new thread. But need help. My hen was attacked by a raccoon and doesnt seem to be badly hurt. A few puncture marks on hed. She will not eat or drink and only sleeps all the time. Going on 3rd day. What should i do???

Little bit more info :

She can shuffle to rearrange where she wants to face. It's uncomfortable tho when she does this. She makes upset noises.
Her appetite has not diminished and she continues to trough.
smile.png

She has garlic powder in her food which is small layers pellets, corn and seed mix with grit and shell.
She has a seaweed additive.
Because she's poorly she's been getting fishy cat food as a protein boost and some greens and apple. Oh and mealworms (dried) and a bit of cheese.

Am I right to think this type if injury can heal ?
This is a very special hen to me. She is a almost 2 yr old mother of 12 and totally a lap chicken. She is loving and trusting.
Her beautiful character is responsible for every other chicken I now own... Now up to almost 30 not including my Easter hatch if 8.

Please someone give me some good news
sad.png
Follow the directions in this link, post #4. The post is for a rooster but the same applies for hens. Only feed your hen chicken feed, none of that other stuff.
www.backyardchickens.com/t/865271/my-rooster-is-injured

So far Mabel is not trying to stand at all and with a lol of flapping she can adjust her position a little in her padded cat bed.

I,ve been bathing her occasionally and cleaning her vent area each day and Ive noticed that her right leg shakes.
Ive also noticed that is seems colder. Not clock cold, but cooler although this is the leg she often sticks out a bit.

She can move her toes and feet and is responsive to tickled feet.

Shes eating very little, although she is expending zero energy at the moment.

I,m afraid I don't have an avian vet anywhere near me and when ive taken other chickens to my vet its only been for meds that I then use with advice from people on this forum.
I don't want to pay for an xray at this point.

Has anyone been in this situation ?
I don't want to give up at this point and Ive said to myself that I would give her a good month and then she how she is, while ever she is alert and I can manage her pain relief.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

love
shabana

I took the padding and vet wrap off Mabel's right leg today as its been on a good while.
Unfortunately she doesn't seem to want to move this leg at all and still is unable to stand.

I am feeding her (assisted feeding, in so much as that I am putting stuff in her mouth and she is not spitting it out) 4 times a day. ostly her own food plus one egg scrambled.

When this first happened and I found her on her side in the mud I brought her home bathed her and after a good nights rest she was shuffling about. once she was walking I put her back in with her flock. This took only a few days.
I noticed she shuffled backwards to begin with.

I noticed a decline over a few days with her flock and seeing her motionless took her home again and since then she hasn't stood up.

I am washing her when necessary as she cant stand to poop although her poops are normal and firm so they don't really mess her as I'm checking her a lot.

Could this not be a broken leg/pelvis but maybe a stoke ?
She can move her head and both wings, She doesn't seem distressed or in pain and chats away at times.

I am loathe to cull her, but I,m starting to think that this is not as simple as I thought.
Does a broken pelvis take a long time to heal ?
Could there be nerve damage ?

Please any reply would be appreciated.
I'm pretty sad about it all.

Thankyou x

Thankyou so much for your replies. Mabel is still the same and I am faced with this horrible decision.
I love this little girl she has really got under my skin but I am aware that she has no quality of life as she is.
I have done everything I can think of it's just so hard to give up on her when she looks at me with those big dark eyes.

I do think it could be neurological and I'm out of my depth with that. I have no clue.

Thankyou again for your support and help.

Back
Top Bottom