Possbile broody chicken?

spiritpots

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2018
Afton, Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
One of my chickens, who has been broody that past two summers, has not laid an egg for the past week. She looks healthy with a bright red comb and eats and free ranges with the rest of the chickens. I am finding her, however, in the coop standing or sitting next to the nesting boxes but not sitting in them like she usually does when she's broody. She is an ameraucana and since her eggs are blue it is easy for me to know if she lays or not. Is this behavior a form of broodiness? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

One of my chickens, who has been broody that past two summers, has not laid an egg for the past week. She looks healthy with a bright red comb and eats and free ranges with the rest of the chickens. I am finding her, however, in the coop standing or sitting next to the nesting boxes but not sitting in them like she usually does when she's broody. She is an ameraucana and since her eggs are blue it is easy for me to know if she lays or not. Is this behavior a form of broodiness? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Broody hen wil sit tight on the nest, I have a singular hen displaying the same symptoms but this was due to loss of a friend, she has never layed since. You could build an isolation coop, a old rabbit hutch will suffice check her feces, disgusting but it will give you clues on whether she is broody or not. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom