Possibility of Blackhead

Moonrisemama

Chirping
Aug 15, 2023
Not chicken, but I have a 16 week turkey poult I fear has the starting of Blackhead. Yellow poops, slightly lethargic - still drinking and eating. I love in Canada so most of the things I have seen are not readily available in Canada - especially without a prescription and at that - not available even with a vet prescription as Canada is very different. I DO have safeguard! I've read a lot about cayenne helping (I'm all for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that can help)

Anyone in Canada able to help?!

2 days with yellow urates, eating but not as well as usual. Definitely still drinking, but sits on the ground more often than roosting. Slept in the coop crouched down vs roosting last night, my other poult is so far doing well. He does close his eyes and show the :in pain: stance, and look paler than our girl (reddish and blue) can get photos of necessary.

Hopefully @casportpony will respond. Have you treated with a Wormer to get rid of cecal worms. That is what I would do first. Cecal worms, especially if you have chickens can carry blackhead. Metronidazole antibiotic can help treat blackhead. Dosage is 50 mg per pound given daily for 5 days. I know little about turkeys, so hopefully others with turkey will respond. Also post on the turkey forum, above under “Forums.”

Hopefully @casportpony will respond. Have you treated with a Wormer to get rid of cecal worms. That is what I would do first. Cecal worms, especially if you have chickens can carry blackhead. Metronidazole antibiotic can help treat blackhead. Dosage is 50 mg per pound given daily for 5 days. I know little about turkeys, so hopefully others with turkey will respond. Also post on the turkey forum, above under “Forums.”
Thank you - yes I first and foremost wormed with Safeguard!
I'm in Canada so unfortunately most meds like that are hard to get... And little poultry vets, I could probably swing someone working with me though if I could provide evidence.

I do have both chickens and turkeys (and ducks, geese, guineas...) So unfortunately I am sure it's in the ground somewhere, but they are not housed together specifically. We have acreage and I guess I was naive to think they would be okay in wide open spaces...

Back
Top Bottom