Possible 2 cockerel situation

drdoct

Songster
Feb 7, 2022
Griffin, GA
Had a tragic stray dog attack that killed my awesome rooster who fought for over 1 hr while most of my hens got to safety a month or so ago. My new introduced chicks and their previous broody mother are integrated. Yesterday we heard a faint crow. Then again and again. We were so happy to have at least one cockerel from our rooster's lineage since these last 4 were from his line. We were hoping at least one would turn out male.

The 'problem' is that the crowing one isn't the bird I thought would be the cockerel. They're all from different breeds so it's hard to tell from size of comb, etc. Of course none are laying yet and won't for another 4+ weeks.

QUESTION: If I end up with 2 cockerels, how do I decide which one to keep, or do I keep both for a flock of 12+ birds?

What I would do, is keep both for as long as it is working.
Most likely, at some point, you will find they will either start fighting, or else over breeding the hens; but by leaving it as long as possible you should have a better idea which one you would like to keep.
If you want to, you could post photos of the birds so we can give you a better idea of what you have.
If it comes down to choosing one over the other, don't tolerate aggression, to either you or then hens.
Although, they will most likely get teenage hormones, so be a little more tolerant around then.
Apart from that, pick the one you prefer, and the one which keeps a good eye on the hens.

I agree with the above. The birds you have now, are no indicator of the roosters they will eventually be. This forum is filled with posts where the darling becomes the nightmare.

With roosters - what you really need is a plan B, a way to separate them set up and ready to go. And the ability to cull a bird that is not working out for any reason.

I think your post is nursing the secret hope, that we will tell you that cockerels from a dearly beloved rooster that are raised together will work out for a flock of 12. IMO that is highly unlikely. Not saying it can't, but it unlikely. Get a plan B set up and ready to go.

Enjoy today - don't count on it for tomorrow.

Mrs K

I agree that it would be good to wait and see. Cockerels raised by a broody are really good candidates for a flock rooster as they have imprinted on the hen, and learned chicken rules early.

none are laying yet and won't for another 4+ weeks.
That means they are at least three months old, probably older. So we should be able to help you sex them if you need the help. The areas I'd like photos of would show the comb and wattles, a profile showing the legs, profile, and posture and a close-up of the saddle and/or hackle feathers. By this time some pullets can develop impressive combs and wattles but size and especially color can be big clues. Long heavy legs usually means a boy. A boy tends to have an upright posture and sometimes the profile can be distinctive. By this age a boy's saddle and hackle feathers should be pointed where a girl's will be more rounded.

QUESTION: If I end up with 2 cockerels, how do I decide which one to keep, or do I keep both for a flock of 12+ birds?
You are probably thinking about that ridiculous 10 to 1 ratio. One rooster is plenty for 12 or 20 hens. While it is possible two or more boys could get along, especially if you have a lot of room, I suggest you keep as few males as you can and still meet your goals. That's not because you are guaranteed to have problems with more roosters but that the more roosters you have the more likely you are to have problems, some serious. The way I read this, you can meet your goals with one.

Which to keep is the hard question. Their personalities can change as they mature or if you add or remove a competitor. And they can change later in life. It's a problem dealing with living animals, you never know what will happen or what they will do. It sounds like you plan to hatch more chicks. I suggest you keep the one you want the chicks to be most like, either appearance or behaviors. Which one do you like the best? It is not always an easy choice.

Even with a flock of all girls I think everyone should have a Plan B. You never know when you may need to isolate an individual, whether from behaviors, illness or injury. With two or more boys going through puberty that need is more likely to show up. When it does it is usually pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom