Possible anemia

Beth Kane

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2020
Hy Hen Gretel is lethargic and has a pale crest and wattles, also isolating from the flock . She is 18 nths old , breed, Lohmann .
I need advice on anemia, possible parasites and general building up for a sick chicken, please🙏

Hi Beth :frow
We need some more info to be able to help you better:
Could she be going into molt? Has she had a molt yet?
Has she been laying? If so, were the eggs OK?
What does her poo look like?
Have you looked over her and the coop for parasites?
Is anyone else in the flock exhibiting similar symptoms?

Hi Beth :frow
We need some more info to be able to help you better:
Could she be going into molt? Has she had a molt yet?
Has she been laying? If so, were the eggs OK?
What does her poo look like?
Have you looked over her and the coop for parasites?
Is anyone else in the flock exhibiting similar symptoms?
Hi Perris, thanks for your reply.... I've never experienced a molt with my chickens before, so I'm fairly uninformed there. All the other chickens seem fine, bright red combs. I don't see any mites on her.....haven't isolated her yet so haven't observed poo.
Summer time here in South Africa , so have had a lot of rain and the run get very muddy and is attracting flies at the moment

if she's 18 months old and has not yet molted, it might be that, but it doesn't normally start until autumn. You didn't say if she's been laying or not... ?

If there are lots of flies and mud, a general clean up would be advisable. Get rid of as much poo as you can, and then put fresh dry soil or bark chips down to help with the mud.

As for tonics, I don't know what you have available there, but if you search on feedipedia https://www.feedipedia.org/content/feeds?category=13588
I'm sure you'll be able to find foods that are relatively high in iron and available to you.

Back
Top Bottom