Possible Angel Wing?

FalseToast

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Southern Ontario
Wow, me posting so soon and with a disappointing update. I’m concerned my goslings are getting angel wing and I suspect it’d be caused by their diet—high protein. I’m removing food from night time for now and just going to allow them to graze during the day, just to prevent anything further.

Probably can’t notice much from the images, but I’ll include as much as I can! I already made it look like a skin noodle with a wrap. 🤦‍♂️ 535957CE-5D44-451B-A99E-F4BB32625AA0.jpeg
(Below image is the furthest right goose, but if you notice anything in the others feel free to point it out!) 01954197-8906-4E46-8461-662A2426FA77.jpeg
2114C2AB-BCE6-4A9E-A622-BFBC999104E2.jpeg
And here’s my skin noodle. Wrap is temporary for tonight until I get vet wrap tomorrow, to which I’ll better wrap it then. (Re-wrapped it after posting as it’s bothering me).

Wing is slightly tilting out and is noticeable from the back. I understand the wings get heavy during this stage of development and maybe it’s just that? The two eldest try to keep their wings up but end up letting them droop. Any ideas?

angel wing is when one or both wings twist away from the body. Just google 'angel wing in waterfowl images'
drooping down is not angel wing
what were you feeding them that you think was too high protien?
Not everyone agrees that high protein causes angel wing anyway, there are other factors involved.
and i dont see any angel wing on your birds

angel wing is when one or both wings twist away from the body. Just google 'angel wing in waterfowl images'
drooping down is not angel wing
what were you feeding them that you think was too high protien?
Not everyone agrees that high protein causes angel wing anyway, there are other factors involved.
and i dont see any angel wing on your birds
Ah, that’s a relief! My one gosling had the tip of his wing seemingly tilted off to the side so I got a bit concerned was all. First time owning geese! Was told to keep them on duck starter until 10 weeks and then recently it said to take them off it once they started growing feathers to limit the risk of angel wing.

Currently their diet consists of grass between the hours of 8-9AM till 9PM(will change as we get shorter days), and just their duck starter at night with it still available in their pen outside. Perhaps should limit it? I’m always worried about doing stuff incorrectly with new birds! 😅

They're in a very fast growth period, so I would be cautious about restricting their supplemental feed at this stage, when they're putting so many resources into feathering, etc.

As @Jenbirdee mentioned, angel wing is very distinctive, with a marked twist outward. I also don't see anything in the photos you posted that makes me suspect angel wing in your goslings.

Best of luck with your adorable gaggle!

You can change the feed from starter to an all flock pellet feed such as nutrena all flock, or A Waterfowl maintenance feed like Mazuri. They don’t need the “starter” anymore​

I think when they said to take them off the starter, they didn’t mean take them off it and give them nothing, but rather to take them off the starter and give them regular adult food for Geese instead. like the ones I mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom