Possible banty's coming - Need help with coop

HappyPlace

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
Middle of the Mitten
I have been wanting a small fairly self-sufficient "farm" for some time now and chickens are meant to be a part of that idea. Right now, I am living with my parents and have been concentrating on getting info for my "farm" while I get the funds needed for such a task. My parents have very graciously agreed to let me get a few chickens so I can see if this is really what I want.

This isn't set in stone, but my mother knows a man (a co-worker) who is culling part of his banty (mutt) flock and is willing to give my mom 13 birds free. I have done some research already about chickens (I've been studying this forum for some time now), but I planned on having large fowl and so did very little research on banty's.

Here's the question: I don't have much room for a coop, so I'm wondering which of these set-up's would more appropriate: The pen is going to be about 6' x 18' with the birds able to get under the coop. I was going to build the coop 6'L x 3'W x 2'. I'm wondering, though, if a coop that is 5'L x 3'W would be easier to fit in the pen (the coop is being after the pen is built), or even 5'L x 4'W.

I have to keep in mind that I am only 5'1" and having too wide of a coop is going to be harder to reach into and I'll be opening the front to clean the coop. I want something that is easier for me, but is comfortable for my (possible) birds, too.

I know large fowl need lots of space, but these banty's are less than 2 lbs. each. I'm not sure how to handle the room issue. Any ideas, critiques?

Sorry this is kind of long and maybe confusing. I'm a little confused myself right now.
hmm.png

You could build it so the cleaning door opens most or all the way across, or build two doors if this sounds too heavy or cumbersome. You could also build a ddifferent type of coop which allows for cleaning only once or twice a year, if not this time, perhaps when you have your own place.

For what it's worth... my coop has a floor "tray" that slide out back or front of coop. Makes it sooooo nice.... Your's doesn't have to be so fancy. Just something to catch most droppings that can be easily slid for removal!

95611_coop_before_pen.jpg

The coop is being built so that the whole front of the coop opens up as a door, which should make it easy to clean the whole coop.

I hadn't thought of anything like a pull-out tray. That would probably work wonders for me and allow me more room for the chickens. Thank you so much for the suggestion, chi-rn!

If anyone else has any extra ideas/critiques, I would love to hear them as well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom