Possible beat 34 cents per pound (store prices on quarters) at home? Brainstorming here...

You can get chicks directly from the breeding stock companies like Aviagen, for 1/2 to 1/3rd of what retail hatcheries sell them for... but if you're getting small quantities then big ag is beating you by 50% right off the bat just in shipping costs. It doesn't cost much more to ship 100 birds than it does 25, for example.

Called Aviagen and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned wanting to buy bulk broiler chicks.

Called Aviagen and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned wanting to buy bulk broiler chicks.

They aren't particularly organized as far as who to contact, try Arbor Acres (one of their business units). I do my turkeys through Aviagen, but I'm really contacting people at Jenessen Farms, yet another subsidiary.

I'll have to get ahold of them. I appreciate that!

As far as others saying .80 per chick... is there anything like this in the midwest (say IA, IL, WI, MN, MI, IN, MO, NE)?

I'm from Maine, but I get stuff shipped from pretty far with good results. I know Burr Farm has 80c meaties out of Connecticut. They should ship fine to the midwest.

I used Welp last year out of Iowa, their prices include shipping so its close to 80c when you factor that in. Their birds are very vigorous.

Burr Hatchery is 80c in quantities over 100. That doesn't include shipping.

They're out of CT.

I've tried calling and emailing them for about 2 weeks now with no response. I would like to get my chicks ordered soon. How do you typically get in contact with them??

I've tried calling and emailing them for about 2 weeks now with no response. I would like to get my chicks ordered soon. How do you typically get in contact with them??

I've only contacted them once, a few weeks ago for a shipping quote, via the contact form on the site and they responded right away.

Maybe the form broke? The email address they respond from is marc at burrfarm.com

Last edited:
I've only contacted them once, a few weeks ago for a shipping quote, via the contact form on the site and they responded right away.

Maybe the form broke? The email address they respond from is marc at burrfarm.com

Tried again with still no response. Guess I'm going back to
Schlecht Hatchery​
out of Iowa. I was happy with them last year and their prices are only 15 cents higher per chick (ordering 30).

Back
Top Bottom