Possible broken wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bizichick, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Bizichick

Bizichick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Washington State
    Our coop got invaded by a raccoon early Christmas morning. It killed 2 of our hens and we have a feeling the one he was going for next before he was interrupted was this one. Her feathers were ruffled and sticking out all over the place for a few days. We noticed her wing looked funny and now that it has been about a week and the wing seems to be getting more droopy, we are thinking a possible broken wing.
    She still gets around fine and doesnt seem to be acting sickly, but the wing seems to be getting worse instead of better. I am adding a couple of pics. They are kind of blurry, but the best I could get with an uncooperative chicken. [​IMG]
    Any advice? Do I let is go and let it heal itself? Of something I should be doing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sorry about the raccoon attack and your lost chickens. At least this will give your post a bump.

The raccoon attack that I had pulled the wing completely out of the socket and the pullet seems to be doing o.k. as an amputee. So my situation was different. I wonder if you could get hold of a version of a hen saddle and somehow take the pressure off the wing and attach it to the saddle to not have gravity pull it down. -- just a thought.

I hope that someone with experience in this will read this and post a good answer for you.

3. Bizichick

Bizichick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Washington State
    Thanks for the reply Chickat. Its so weird because the wing situation doesn't seem to be slowing her down any. Just hoping it doesn't get worse. Glad your hen is doing good with only one wing. Sounds like they are tougher than I thought.
    This weekend I may just bind it and seperate her into a dog kennel for a couple days and see what happens.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Good Luck,

chickens are troopers...and they don't have anything else than the 'now' and their own experiences, so she probably doesn't even know that something is wrong...but just thinks this is what a chickens life is like. Hope she will do fine over the long term.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by