Possible broody?

TheChickenQueen

Songster
6 Years
May 2, 2014
Eastern Idaho
I have a Buff Orpington pullet who started laying not long ago. And constantly I see her on the nest, but she leaves a lot. And today I had to be somewhere late before I normally put the chickens to bed. So I didn't have enough time to put them away or gather the eggs. And I get back and there she is sleeping on the nest when I'm closing everything up.

So... Is she possibly broody?

Maybe, or maybe she is going broody. If truly broody, they will stay on the nest 24/7, other than one brief absence to eat, poop, etc. You aren't likely to see them get off the nest, but they will leave their big, stinky broody poop for you to find, somewhere outside the nest. They will also growl as you approach them on the nest, and if you lift them off it, they will flatten out on the ground wherever you set them, as if covering eggs.

Hens will puff up,and put up fights whether broody or not.I've a had a hen sit in the nest and next morning she is not.She never went broody.She may want privacy and also find the nest comfortable.Now,i've heard buffs are known to sit,a lot.On my thread a girl said her hen went broody every year!I've never known any to go broody at such young age though,this goes for any breed,anywhere.How old is she>?

Check her tummy.If it is plucked chances are,she's going broody.Is practically a heat lamp for her eggs/chicks.It keeps the eggs warm,so it's about 80 something on the spot heating the eggs for another 3 weeks.

Ok, I'll check.

24 weeks, I'm guessing.

And she is back on the nest.

Ok I looked, right now I can't tell.
I guess the age is reasonable,but if she hatches she won't be a good mother(maybe)I say this because of her age.

Honey Bee, I'm having the exact same issue with 2 of my BO's right now! They just started laying 5 or 6 weeks ago...can they be broody already?

They both have been hanging out in the nesting boxes (excluding the other girls), growling when I come close (none of the others seem to care), squatting and then running right back into the boxes as soon as I've taken them out. I'm a new chicken mom, but it sounded like a lot of the broody behavior I've read about. I can't block off the boxes to them since the other 6 girls need to use them so I decided to put them in a broody jail this morning (a large wire dog crate stood on end, with a couple of sticks for perches and a food and water dish). They were super unhappy and pacing around trying to get out but when I just went out to check on them (6 hrs later), there were 2 eggs in the bottom of the cage!!

What is up with these two? Is this "beginning" broody behavior? Is it something else? Any advice from you experts would be greatly appreciated!!

I agree they are very young to be good broodies and mamas. I'd be suspicious that they might quit sitting or not manage their chicks well if they got that far. I'd do my best to break the broodiness and consider letting them hatch when they go broody at a later date. Of course, there is no guarantee they will, but I'd guess its likely.

Sounds like you're going to need a broody cage or other broody breaker at your disposal, anyway.....
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom