Possible Bullying

louisebarnhill

Chirping
Apr 24, 2018
Battletown, Kentucky
Situation: 4 hens (3golden laced Wyn and one barred rock...no rooster) they have been together since birth 10 months old....coop is 6 x 8 with attatched large run but the girls free range all day. When I locked the doors tonight I noticed a huge amount of downy feathers all over the coop....a lot...the barred rock and 2 wyn were on the roost but the 4th one was in a nesting box.All eggs collected earlier. She seems fine...no injuries...so I left her there. Just went out three hrs later and she is still in the nesting box. All 4 girls always sleep together on the roost and I have never seen any feathers other than a single stray once in awhile. Why would they suddenly single her out or do they just get mad at each other like that?

Is she possibly going broody? Broodies will tear out their own belly feathers sometimes. How long has she been in the nest box, and is she showing any of these other signs: puffing up when you reach in or get close, flattening down, hissing, vocalizing in a way you haven't heard before (like low growls or a short chick-chick-chick)

Oh My...I bet she is going broody. I havent heard sounds but it is so u nlike the group to be mean so I thought it had to be something else and the feathers are definately belly feathers. I will study up on broodiness. Is it a negative thing for her to sit in the box..other than the obvious making sure se is eating and drinking and will she eventually quit. Thank you so much....

Is it a negative thing for her to sit in the box..other than the obvious making sure se is eating and drinking and will she eventually quit.
Unless you want her to hatch, she should be broken of her broodiness.
Sleeping in the nests is not tolerated here, can become a bad habit and dirty eggs or lots of cleaning.
It's really hard to say if she broody or being picked on or just a fight or what.
Any chance you can observe the roost time rumble and see what is going on?
Might even be able to tell is she's being bullied today during the day, maybe leave them in the run to observe more closely.

Back
Top Bottom