Possible chicken cooop?

darajosami

Songster
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
South West Victoria, Australia
I have been given a birdcage that is 123cm high by about 51cm wide and 53cm deep.

This is it on its back And the inside

Need to patch up a little

I will have it on it's side, like this

But not sure this will be big enough to let chickens out, its about 13cm high

The question I have is, will it be big enough to house 4 hens and a rooster? If so how many at most would you house in it? They will only sleep in it as I free range them and will let them out ever other day (have 2 roosters as of tomorrow).

Thanks in advance.

I have been given a birdcage that is 123cm high by about 51cm wide and 53cm deep.

This is it on its back And the inside

Need to patch up a little

I will have it on it's side, like this

But not sure this will be big enough to let chickens out, its about 13cm high

The question I have is, will it be big enough to house 4 hens and a rooster? If so how many at most would you house in it? They will only sleep in it as I free range them and will let them out ever other day (have 2 roosters as of tomorrow).

Thanks in advance.
I'm a little confused, but then I tend to get that way easily. You said that they will only sleep in it because you free range them and let them out every other day....so that means that every other day they will be confined to the coop?

Are we talking standard chickens here or bantams. I would not keep 5 standard birds in that for more than a few hours. They MIGHT me able to handle it over night, but 5 is stretching it a bit. If you were to elevate it and put a small run underneath you might be able to manage 5. Another issue is that adult chickens like to roost and I don't' think that has enough room for a roost in it. Honestly if it was me I would only use that for a brooding box for little ones under 12 weeks of age.

Are we talking standard chickens here or bantams. I would not keep 5 standard birds in that for more than a few hours. They MIGHT me able to handle it over night, but 5 is stretching it a bit. If you were to elevate it and put a small run underneath you might be able to manage 5. Another issue is that adult chickens like to roost and I don't' think that has enough room for a roost in it. Honestly if it was me I would only use that for a brooding box for little ones under 12 weeks of age.
That's what I was thinking too, Tara, and why I asked if the OP intended them to be confined in it every other day. It would make a fine brooder, but I'd worry about the chicken wire front and replace that with heavy gauge hardware cloth.

I'm a little confused, but then I tend to get that way easily. You said that they will only sleep in it because you free range them and let them out every other day....so that means that every other day they will be confined to the coop?
Yes that is correct

Sorry, Bantams. ok so back to square one. Need something for my new rooster and was hoping to split y eight hens in to two lots of 4 and a rooster each.

Back
Top Bottom