Possible Cocci? Help!

keegan

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Well I have 4 chicks, 2 that are about 4 days old and 2 that are about 2 weeks old.They are vacinated against a few things, Cocci being one of them.Since thier vacinated they aren't on medicated feed, but shouldn't the vaccine protect them against it?

I've noticed that my chicks have been pooping with blood.I seperated the younger ones fromt he older ones and am wondering what i should do.They are responsive and seam healthy aside fromt he blood.Thier water is cleaned many times throughout the day, thier shavings are cleaned daily, and thier kept, over all, in good condition.I'm really worried because Cocci is supose to be a chick killer.

Well it isn't quite as bloody as the pic of cocci that was on that site, that looked more like completly blood then poo.What they have is more blood covered feces.I've been told that when chicks get the vaccination sometimes they experience mild symptoms of Cocci and that blood in the feces is one of those symptoms.

I just got hese chicks like 3 days ago and im going to be really upset if they die.I am only 15 and i had to babysit for my aunt for 3 weeks to get these chicks, they were brought in from Tilbury.I did a lot of reading up on cocci and how to prevent it and when she told me they were vaccinated I was confident i wouldn't have these problems so long as I properly took care of them, wich ii've been doing.The 2 younger chicks are in great shape and seam to be doing fine.The older ones to are acting healthy, and it's really confusing.

Make sure you are not feeding them "medicated" chick starter, as this would be hard on them (has amprolium). An old time remedy is natural milk (unpastuerized), I'm not sure if plain yogurt might work as well. Not sure if the Sulmet would be good for such young chicks--can someone else weigh in on this? Sounds like you're right about the vaccine giving them mild Cocci.

Back
Top Bottom