Possible cold?

skiblits

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2017
Denver Colorado
I just got a chicken from a local feed shop. She is a eight or nine month old Easter Egger. The day after I brought her home I noticed her nose sounds stuffy and she is sneezing. Other than that her eyes look clear there is no swelling and she’s eating and drinking and acting normal, all except for not laying any eggs. I call the store to return her but apparently once I bring them home I can’t bring them back. So the store told me to buy Vet RX so I did and I treated her yesterday. I’ll treat her again today. I’ve also sprayed the bedding in the coop and rubbed it on her waddling under her wings. What else can I do to make sure she’s healthy? Are there other things I need to watch for her to make sure doesn’t get worse?

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I wonder where she came from at that age if they won't take them back after they went home? :rant

Vet rx is essentially vicks vapor rub... it won't do anything to promote healing.

Best thing you can do is good nutrition. Chicken feed not diminished by too many treats is recommended.

Does she have any friends? Can you post a pic?

Generally colds is not a chicken thing. :hmm

Could be MG, infectious bronchitis, respiratory tract infection, New Castle disease... any number of things! :barnie

Some people will use antibiotics like Baytril for respiratory stuff... I won't as I don't use antibiotics without confirmation of infection type or need.

A fantastic supplement for birds under stress is Poultry Nutri Drench. Though for this age and such I would prefer Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell (product name). No supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

Thank you for your help! She does have a friend. I had gotten a pair of bantams recently but one passed from a predator right after I got them home. After reinforcing the coop, and the run I have a coupon I went looking for another Bantam but nobody had one. So I found this Easter Egger. I got her from the most reputable feed store around. Was definitely a little miffed that they wouldn’t take her back. There are still no I goobers or leaky nose, And she is running around acting normal. All be it, of course no one’s laying any eggs right now. But she is still coughing just a little and sneezing. The feed store told me that that’s normal when they’re stressed and moved to a new location. So at this point I’m just keeping an eye on them. I hope it’s just stress and I don’t have to take her to the vet.

Attachments

• 0F8B1D86-7258-438B-9A7B-0A3F684111B2.jpeg
    0F8B1D86-7258-438B-9A7B-0A3F684111B2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 818B7123-6D4A-42A4-A916-44EE513306BC.jpeg
    818B7123-6D4A-42A4-A916-44EE513306BC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom