Possible coop?

Regarding predators: do you have dogs running the property? My four dogs seem to be the best deterrent. We have skunks, coons and possums all around us but none ever come on the property because my dogs won't tolerate it.

I have actually am starting a "predator proof" build. 1/2" hardware cloth for the entire pen ( costs a lot more but not much can challenge it) We are doing the floor in it too but I'm actually going to dig down about 6" and lay 3-6" crushed rock for drainage, lay my 1/2" mesh, border the run/coop in either 6x4" or concrete block, lay Patio tiles down and then place my bedding/mulch. this will ensure there is no digging up from underneath as we get rats and mice in the city and that leaves nice tunnels for snakes, and this prevents the chickens from digging down to the wire and bending it. sand which any hardware cloth in two pieces of wood with screws to keep raccoon prying hands from pulling out staples or a dog from ripping it off. if you do that you should be good!
you can always put your paneled siding on the inside as well to keep from drafts. protection always on the outside and comfort always on the inside.
A dog or big coon will go through the 1/2" HC....2x4 welded or woven wire would come closer to stopping them. A 2-3 foot piece of 1/2" HC attached at the bottom of the 2x4 fencing would keep coons from reaching through.

Ahavati, being in deep south Texas I would think your concern will be heat. You say "east" Texas, so do you live along the coast where the gulf water may help cool things? I would strongly look at going the "fresh air" style of coop with LOTS of fencing....a side or two just covered in mesh fencing would probably be good. Basically somewhere for the chickens to get out of the rain, to place the feed, and for the hens to lay eggs and the rest open air. If a storm comes in your could attach a tarp over the fenced wall(s) to help keep driven rain from wetting things to badly. The area looks like it will have some shade which is great!

Best wishes!
Ed

A dog or big coon will go through the 1/2" HC....2x4 welded or woven wire would come closer to stopping them. A 2-3 foot piece of 1/2" HC attached at the bottom of the 2x4 fencing would keep coons from reaching through.

Ahavati, being in deep south Texas I would think your concern will be heat. You say "east" Texas, so do you live along the coast where the gulf water may help cool things? I would strongly look at going the "fresh air" style of coop with LOTS of fencing....a side or two just covered in mesh fencing would probably be good. Basically somewhere for the chickens to get out of the rain, to place the feed, and for the hens to lay eggs and the rest open air. If a storm comes in your could attach a tarp over the fenced wall(s) to help keep driven rain from wetting things to badly. The area looks like it will have some shade which is great!

Best wishes!
Ed

Well then maybe I was wrong. I was under the impression HC was strong stuff. This has me rethinking my whole design. So for full predator protection You would need Welded wire with HC overlapped. My biggest concern ,for my coop at least, are snakes and rodents and sure we have coons as well, but I had been told 1/2" HC would keep them at bay as well if it was 19 gauge and lower. I mean the small coop and run I have now has that stuff and its pretty strong, I mean I could see a very strong dog, but I have serious doubts a coon could be strong enough to break through unless there is something I'm missing, I could even see if it was fastened correctly I would even have trouble and I would think I would break the wood before the wire. I think the weakest point is the fastening of the HC, which if stapled correctly and then taking two pieces of wood and screwing them together to sandwich it seems to be the suggested method forum wide. For full predator protection what would your suggestion be?

Last edited:
1/2" HC is good stuff, IF it is attached properly.....
....I have seen only a couple breaches of it reported here, one and possibly the other was improperly attached.

It's advantage is the small mesh, which keeps smaller predators out(including wild birds bringing pests),
and it's harder for larger preds to get their teeth into...again IF it is attached properly.
All edges must be firmly pinned down with washered screws at close spacing or screwed on trim material.
Large flat expanses must be taut with no buckling/puckering that would afford a tooth gain.

Adding a heavier gauge larger mesh can help with larger preds(canines down low)...but even those can have welds broken with a good bite.

1/2" HC is good stuff, IF it is attached properly.....
....I have seen only a couple breaches of it reported here, one and possibly the other was improperly attached.

It's advantage is the small mesh, which keeps smaller predators out(including wild birds bringing pests),
and it's harder for larger preds to get their teeth into...again IF it is attached properly.
All edges must be firmly pinned down with washered screws at close spacing or screwed on trim material.
Large flat expanses must be taut with no buckling/puckering that would afford a tooth gain.

Adding a heavier gauge larger mesh can help with larger preds(canines down low)...but even those can have welds broken with a good bite.

So,
Here are my thoughts then if I'm understanding this correctly. If I put up 1/2" HC all the way around the run then for the first 3 feet on the bottom put welded wire this would even stronger and not allowing the mesh to be ripped out, also I would imagine instead of paneling the mesh if you rolled it out as one long strip for the length of the run, stapled and sandwhiched between wood with screws and washers this will ensure the strongest possible outcome. is this correct?

So,
Here are my thoughts then if I'm understanding this correctly. If I put up 1/2" HC all the way around the run then for the first 3 feet on the bottom put welded wire this would even stronger and not allowing the mesh to be ripped out, also I would imagine instead of paneling the mesh if you rolled it out as one long strip for the length of the run, stapled and sandwhiched between wood with screws and washers this will ensure the strongest possible outcome. is this correct?
The 1/2" HC will prevent smaller predators from entering the coop/run. Just be sure that there are no other cracks or holes that are larger than 1/2"...around doors, roof eaves, windows, run corners, etc.,. As I said, dogs and large coons will go through the hardware cloth as it is no where near as strong as 2x4 welded or woven wire. To avoid the possibility of a predator breaking a weld in welded-wire fencing go with woven wire...no welds. Woven wire is more expensive, though, but it's good stuff. A large predator will have to break several welds to be able to get through 2x4 welded wire fencing.

If you opt to go with a run of 2x4 around the lower part of the 1/2" HC then I would purchase 5' wide 2x4 fencing. This way you will have enough to extend up the sides of the fence 3' while leaving 2' that can be bent outward for an apron around the coop/run. This won't stop rodents or other small digging creatures from entering but will stop the canines and coons.

If you've got the extra cash to cover the entire run and coop in 1/2" HC by all means go for it....the tighter the security the better you sleep. But, I would reinforce the bottom with something heavier. Ditto on not using staples.

Best wishes,
Ed

The 1/2" HC will prevent smaller predators from entering the coop/run. Just be sure that there are no other cracks or holes that are larger than 1/2"...around doors, roof eaves, windows, run corners, etc.,. As I said, dogs and large coons will go through the hardware cloth as it is no where near as strong as 2x4 welded or woven wire. To avoid the possibility of a predator breaking a weld in welded-wire fencing go with woven wire...no welds. Woven wire is more expensive, though, but it's good stuff. A large predator will have to break several welds to be able to get through 2x4 welded wire fencing.

If you opt to go with a run of 2x4 around the lower part of the 1/2" HC then I would purchase 5' wide 2x4 fencing. This way you will have enough to extend up the sides of the fence 3' while leaving 2' that can be bent outward for an apron around the coop/run. This won't stop rodents or other small digging creatures from entering but will stop the canines and coons.

If you've got the extra cash to cover the entire run and coop in 1/2" HC by all means go for it....the tighter the security the better you sleep. But, I would reinforce the bottom with something heavier. Ditto on not using staples.

Best wishes,
Ed

Got it
thumbsup.gif

So I'm going to change my plan because this makes more sense to me and I very much appreciate the suggestions!

Best to have all edges of HC securely attached to solid framing, plan your framing and HC material purchase together.
Here a good example of a fine construction, peruse the rest of the thread beyond the post in this link.

Awesome! I love that build and it was extremely similar to the build I was already thinking of except now with the addition of 2x4 WW. thank you guys so much!

Regarding predators: do you have dogs running the property? My four dogs seem to be the best deterrent. We have skunks, coons and possums all around us but none ever come on the property because my dogs won't tolerate it.

We have 3 dogs (beagle, terrier mix, chihuahua mix) but they aren't typically running around the property all the time. They were indoor dogs before we moved. In the future we are looking to get a dog bred for guarding.

Best wishes!
Ed

Hmmm, ok, lots to consider. Yes heat/humidity is big here. We are 2 hours NE of Houston.

Back
Top Bottom