Possible Craigslist scam!!!

Quote:
LOL.................sons of a &^%$*^$
rant.gif
dirty rotten no good......................
lau.gif

The same thing happened to me. I think they got my information by me replying to an e-mail that really wasn't from Craigslist. They were using my account to try to do car scams.

One of the first rules of Craigslist is do not reply to anything unless you know exactly what you are replying to, that is one way they get your e-mail.
Second thing they do is to post an outrageous ad that you will respond to and tell them how stupid they are, then they get your email.
Of course the most common thing they do is just respond to your ad with something as simple as " Do you have this for sale still?, when you reply they get your e-mail

Quote:
That was where they got your information. CL, or any other site that requires usernames and passwords will NEVER email you asking you to update your information through an email form. They may direct you to a secure portion of their own website, but NEVER send your username or password via email!

Just wondering...................I have recently received 2 emails about my Craigslist listing. I was suspicious so I did not open them at all but deleted them instead. What I was afraid of was that opening or responding to them the sender may be able to trap my personal info some how. So many people out there can figure out a way to beat the system & cheat honest people. I have had similar problem with my Ebay account. I have learned to be very cautious.

I did have the same problem with Ebay a couple of years ago getting nasty e-mail about something I was susposed to have for sale. Also I got an e-mail susposedly from ebay wanting my bank information including my pin. I reported it to ebay and was told that the e-mails did not come from them. The links in the e-mails looked exactly like ebay.

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow cmom...somebody's got some private info on you. You might request an updated credit report from the 3 credit reporting agencies and make sure everything is ok. You can put an alert on your credit reports for unauthorized usage and it's free for a certain amount of time with each agency.

Quote:
Wow cmom...somebody's got some private info on you. You might request an updated credit report from the 3 credit reporting agencies and make sure everything is ok. You can put an alert on your credit reports for unauthorized usage and it's free for a certain amount of time with each agency.

It's unlikely that they have information on her. This is how the scammers obtain your private information. It's called phishing.

They get lists of email addresses and send out mass mailings to request username, password, account numbers, etc. Most get ignored, a few get reported, and once in a while, someone responds and gives away their private information. The scammers choose popular banks and services because it increases the likelihood of their finding actual customers of those businesses.

Lots of information is available on snopes.com (http://snopes.com/fraud/phishing/phishing.asp).

Back
Top Bottom