Possible crop issue? Can someone please help?

Babybella1111

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Minnesota
Hi everyone. I need some experienced opinions. This is my first flock so I'm not exactly sure what I'm dealing with.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. RIR, 11 months, not sure on weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. she has been standing in one spot, not interacting with other chickens, not eating, poo yesterday was very runny, a few were almost clear, this morning they were runny green with the white urates, and her crop was very squishy yesterday. I could feel grit in there. It had a peanut butter consistency. This morning it feels harder. It's not huge, about the size of a plum.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing to my knowledge. The ground has thawed here now and a few days ago, they were out in the yard foraging.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She hasn't eaten any layer pellets at all. I've just given her water and some applesauce, yogurt, and some scrambled egg.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
hmm.png
Very runny, yesterday it was clear for a while, a couple were runny and kind of foamy looking, now this morning they are runny with green and white.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I have separated her in a box in our basement, I gave her a 30 min. Soak in the tub yesterday- to get off the dried runny poo and also in case she was eggbound- I didn't feel anything while I was
Any help would be fantasic!examining her abdomen and vent area, and I've kind of been massaging the crop. Today it feels harder.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I want to treat this myself- can't really afford a vet.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.sorry, no picture
12) her bedding is pine wood shavings, and

Last edited:
Here is my 2 cents' worth -

I had a young cockerel and about a 7-month-old pullet, both Brahmas, that had what felt like a bloated crop - soft and squishy kind of like a nerf ball and about the size of a golf ball. Combs and wattles were very pale and they wouldn't eat. Also had runny diarrhea and very lethargic. The weather had been damp for a day or two before I saw the symptoms.

I took the pullet (who was sick first) to the vet, who took one look at her and said it was fungal. He prescribed Nystatin. I gave it to her but lost her a couple of days later. Then the cockerel started acting the same way. I gave him Sulmet for about a week along with whatever I could get him to eat. He got extremely skinny but eventually started coming out of it. His crop never emptied, it just got hard in the mornings and bloated throughout the day.

Now it's about 2 months later and he's fine. Poop is fine, no crop problems, and he is a beautiful boy. He is still a little skinny, but is eating well and putting on weight. I don't know if the sulmet helped or if he just got better on his own.

I did find an area of mold in the yard, so maybe the vet was right, but he didn't do any tests - didn't even pick the pullet up out of the box! That was a waste of $80!

Sorry, I'm doing this on my phone so it's kinda screwy! Anyway their run is sand with some leftover hay from the winter. I was thinking yesterday that she seemed to have sour crop, but there is no smell coming from her mouth, and when she is standing there(she won't sit down, I've noticed she seems like her vent is pulsating like when she is laying an egg. But like I said, I didn't feel an egg in there at all, so i don't know if it could be egg bound or not. She was my best layer too- nice large brown eggs- but she hasn't layed in 4 days now.I'm just really at a loss. It seems like it could bea bunch of things. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sjisty~
that does sound like my hen although her comb and wattles are still bright red, and she's not really lethargic, she literally just stands there. Doesn't do anything, just stands there. Weird.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom