Possible Cross?

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
So, for some reason, I noticed Miss Prissy’s eyes are not the dark brown black australorps are supposed to have; they are a light brown/orange.
F9A8465D-380A-49DD-9491-B338D7D01AB4.jpeg
B15EBAF7-E855-4792-8B78-B6A5088AE814.jpeg

while yukon, my other black australorp, has the dark eyes.
FD2FA2E1-96D8-4C83-AE8F-5FC6FA41598E.jpeg

7E9DF5BA-1909-42E6-BDAF-55DA582F4ED9.jpeg

I got them both from TSC at the same time

Hatchery birds often don't quite match the breed standards. You can check the bottoms of her feet-- if that area is white, then it's pretty certain she's an Australorp. If the area under the feet is yellowish, then you probably have a different breed. But she looks like an Australorp to me.

Hatchery birds often don't quite match the breed standards. You can check the bottoms of her feet-- if that area is white, then it's pretty certain she's an Australorp. If the area under the feet is yellowish, then you probably have a different breed. But she looks like an Australorp to me.
D42D6962-2F70-4FFE-AED2-8802C25B6FE4.jpeg
here’s a picture of her foot. it looks yellow-ish to me, so i assume she’s not an australorp?

View attachment 2349339here’s a picture of her foot. it looks yellow-ish to me, so i assume she’s not an australorp?
She's definitely not a purebred Australorp. She may be an Australorp cross. If she is from a hatchery, she could be some type of hybrid layer they sell. Or maybe a black Plymouth rock, Java or Jersey Giant.

The reason the foot pad color is so important is because it's the easiest way to determine skin color in chickens. Australorps should have white skin, not yellow like most other black breeds/varieties. So you had a good eye! But she's a pretty bird. Breed only matters if you are breeding them yourself and you want purebreds. If that is the case, I wouldn't use her to breed Australorps.

Back
Top Bottom