possible disease ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rockmaster, Aug 28, 2010.

1. rockmaster

rockmaster In the Brooder

May 18, 2010
    I have a 7 month old hen that started wheezing. She is not showing any other problems just yet, however I have 35 other chickens in the same coop. I'm hoping that this will pass. Any suggestions? By the way, this happened 2 yrs ago with another hen and whatever it was left.

what should I do considering the other chickens and how long do I wait?

2. dmdhart

dmdhart Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    I would isolate her if you can. I have a sick hen right now in my extra rabbit hutch. It works great. If you put your ear up to her chest does she sound congested? If so, you could try her on Duramycin. You can pick it up at any feed store. You dissolve it in water. If she won't drink the water with it in there, you can try the dissolved duramycin mixed in something they love, like canned dog or cat food. I would give her some poly-vi-sol (without iron) for an extra boost. After she's been on antibiotics you'll want to give her some yogurt and mix organic unfiltered vinager in with her water to help put her digestive system back on track.
    Hope this helps a little bit.
    Donna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by