Possible dislocated hip in chick??

NewToFarming

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Millersburg, PA
I have a silkie chick that has spraddle leg. I have treated others in the past but this chick is even tiny for a silkie chick and I know they usual treatments won't work because she is so small. Any ideas?

EDITED!

I initially thought it was spraddle leg but this chicks leg extends out at the hip? Any ideas on treatment of a dislocated hip in a chick? Thanks!

Last edited:
I will try it but this is the smallest chick I had ever hatched!
wink.png
Do you put the band-aid around the bottom portion of the legs or up on the thigh area? It seems the thigh area needs support. I was never sure which area was the best place.

Last edited:
I always put it on the lower part of the leg. You should start there, but keep an eye on it, you might have to move it if that doesn't help. You can put it on the upper part of the leg but it's usually not necessary. Just be sure to use the gauze portion of the band-aid as the 'spacer' between the chick's legs then wrap the sticky parts around each leg.

Also, make sure you put it on a towel (cloth towels work best) for at least the first few days so it can get good footing, that will help it just as much as the band-aids.

Last edited:
We just did this with our little runt and it seems to be working. Had it on for a couple of days and then we noticed the foot was going to need some attention so we made a makeshift shoe. We took the band aid off at that time for the shoe fitting and realized it was going to need another one back on for a while. I read somewhere it can take a couple of weeks i believe.

Ok, Maybe I don't have it on correctly but it doesn't seem to be helping. Her one leg extends from the hip joint. Should I put one lower and another one higher do you think??

If it sticks out at the hip, it is not spraddle leg. I don't think taping the legs together will fix it. Maybe change the title to 'chick with dislocated hip' to get someone else who knows how to deal with that, I don't have any luck with it unfortunately
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom