Possible Duck Concussion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pfost262, May 22, 2017.

1. pfost262

pfost262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2013
    Almost two weeks ago I picked up my 4 year old Pekin Duck. He squirmed from my hands and fell to the concrete. Immediately I knew something was wrong. It was a decent height and he hit his head pretty hard. I think he has a concussion. He doesn't seem to be able to move, or stand up correctly like one side just doesn't work. So I put him in the basement in the dark to rest. He seemed to be getting better, quacking, eating, trying to stand, so the other night, Friday, I took him out at night and gave him a bath. Since then he hasn't moved, wont eat or drink. I don't know what happened. What should I do? Any vitamins or supplements I can put in his water? I now feel like he isn't going to make it and I feel awful because it's all my fault. Also, going to a vet really isn't an option. I did that once before for another duck and $270 later he gave me some "medicine" sent me on my way. The other duck didn't make it, I can't afford to go to the vet. Any help would be appreciated!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    It sounds like he had a slow bleed in the brain and not just a concussion. But 2 weeks does seem like a long time for that to show up.

I don't think there's anything a vet or anyone can do except TLC and hope.

If he is awake, try sugared water with a dropper and boiled egg/scrambled egg.
    If he won't take those, then all you can do is just keep him warm and comfortable.

So sorry about this, but accidents happen - you have to put aside any guilt feelings:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by