Possible duckling cold?

AzDuck

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Arizona
Hi! I am brand new to BC, but I wanted to join and learn as much as I can.
My question is:
We have 5 ducklings that are 8 days old today (3 runners, 1 cayuga and 1 khaki campbell).
-They have a big metal stock tank brooder.
-They have two waterers (a poultry waterer & a modified tupperware bin that is deep enough for them to dip their bills) and they have a bowl of duck pellets made into mush with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
-Their bedding is part towel (in the drier area), and part puppy-pad (over where they make a mess of water). It is changed 3-4 times a day.
My question is, sometimes they make a sort of blowing noise (somewhere between a whistle and a sneeze?) I know they do it a lot when they are up and drinking water, and I think it may just be them cleaning out their nostrils. Two of them really like to blow bubbles in the water. There is no discharge, and their nostrils look clear, but they also occasionally make this noise while they are cuddling up to sleep. I am a first-time duck owner and even with all the research I've done, I'm still scared because I can't really find an answer as to what is normal. We lost one of our ducklings two days ago (we still don't know why and it was very sudden) and I want to make sure all of these babies are okay. Is this noise normal, or should I get them on some sort of antibiotic? I have heard VetRX is good?
*I did give them a little apple cider vinegar (1tbs to a gallon dilution) last night in a plastic poultry waterer because I read that could help minor respiratory issues and wouldn't hurt them regardless.
Thank you guys!
1f642.png

Attachments

• IMG_5892.jpg
    IMG_5892.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to BYC!

That blowing motion/noise they make in the water is just them cleaning out there nares, nothing to be concerned about. :) and as long as they aren't constantly doing it, or they are'nt showing any other symptoms, I wouldn't be worried. Very nice setup, and I can tell you have researched a lot on caring for ducklings because you have all the common first duck owner mistakes corrected.

Your ducklings are adorable! :love

Welcome to BYC!

That blowing motion/noise they make in the water is just them cleaning out there nares, nothing to be concerned about. :) and as long as they aren't constantly doing it, or they are'nt showing any other symptoms, I wouldn't be worried. Very nice setup, and I can tell you have researched a lot on caring for ducklings because you have all the common first duck owner mistakes corrected.

Your ducklings are adorable! :love

Thank you so much. I feel like I can't do enough research! There is always something to worry about being a first-time duck mom. And losing the one little duckling broke my heart beyond belief.

My only follow-up question is that they also do this little sneezy noise while they are laying down to sleep too (especially my cayuga and my fawn/white runner). They make the noise and shake their heads. Could this be normal too? It definitely isn't constant, but it is frequent. Thank you again :love

I've seen a little sneezing on occasion, as I said before if its nothing constant, or they aren't showing any other symptoms, I would not be concerned. if you want, you can give us a video of the sneezing, just for good measures.

Thank you so much. I feel like I can't do enough research! There is always something to worry about being a first-time duck mom. And losing the one little duckling broke my heart beyond belief.

My only follow-up question is that they also do this little sneezy noise while they are laying down to sleep too (especially my cayuga and my fawn/white runner). They make the noise and shake their heads. Could this be normal too? It definitely isn't constant, but it is frequent. Thank you again :love
I am right there with you! I am a first time duck mom and we lost one after 4 days. My children and I all gave it a funeral in the woods. We were all crying our eyes out. And mind you, my kids are 18, 20 and 25! I had researched and done all the things you are doing but that little one was never quite right from the start. Good luck on your babies! But don't blink, they will be twice as big in a few days!! They are SO much fun. My husband and I just sit in the yard and watch them forage around and run after each other. They are the most fun in the pool. I never had any idea ducks could be so entertaining. :)

I am right there with you! I am a first time duck mom and we lost one after 4 days. My children and I all gave it a funeral in the woods. We were all crying our eyes out. And mind you, my kids are 18, 20 and 25! I had researched and done all the things you are doing but that little one was never quite right from the start. Good luck on your babies! But don't blink, they will be twice as big in a few days!! They are SO much fun. My husband and I just sit in the yard and watch them forage around and run after each other. They are the most fun in the pool. I never had any idea ducks could be so entertaining. :)

I am so sorry to hear that! But I completely understand because I’m almost 27 years old and was also crying my eyes out as my fiancé buried her and I continued to cry throughout the day. I feel like it had to have been something we did wrong, and I feel like I let her down. BUT he reminded me that we have 5 babies now that need all my focus and attention, so I’ve made it my mission to make sure they’re in perfect health! I’m so happy to hear you’re having such a good time watching them outside!! I can’t wait until ours are old enough to have them foraging around in the backyard. Thank you for your reply 🥰

Back
Top Bottom