Possible egg bound hen

Okay @casportpony Let me see if I understand correctly.

Turkey gets 1, 630mg calcium citrate tablet per day.
Turkey gets 3, 250 mg Amoxicillin 3 tablets twice a day 7 -10 days
Chicken's get 57-69 mg of Amoxicillin per pound twice a day for 7-10 days

Questions I have:

How much calcium citrate do the chickens get per day?

No words for how much I appreciate your time!

Don

Turkey gets 1, 630mg calcium citrate tablet per day.
If she is having a hard time passing an egg, yes. This is not meant to be given every day.
Chicken's get 57-69 mg of Amoxicillin per pound twice a day for 7-10 days
All fowl get that.
How much Amoxicillin does the turkey get per day?
12 pounds / 2.2 x 125 = 681.81 mg
12 pounds / 2.2 x 150 = 818.18 mg

3 capsules twice a day for 7-10 days.

If she is having a hard time passing an egg, yes. This is not meant to be given every day.
Right, right, absolutely. Just preparing.

The other thread recommends 630 mg of calcium citrate for chickens... 1 tab per day.

That just seems like a lot to me?

Don

For you hens, I would give 1/2 a tablet.
Precisely what I was thinking...

Absolutely awesome. THANK-YOU SO MUCH!!!

If you have any other thoughts, things I should buy ahead of time, anything like that, please do share. I love my flock... and definitely want to prepare for whatever may come!

Don

When would Baytril be appropriate as opposed to Amoxicillin? Can they be administered together?

The dosage for the Baytril appears to be 2cc per quart of water. Reduce dosage to 1cc per quart after the 4th day. Change water daily.

Don

When would Baytril be appropriate as opposed to Amoxicillin? Can they be administered together?
Baytril is a broader spectrum antibiotic and is better for many of the infections that poultry get. It is banned for use in poultry, but many people, myself included, still use it.
The dosage for the Baytril appears to be 2cc per quart of water. Reduce dosage to 1cc per quart after the 4th day. Change water daily.
It should *not* be given in water, it should be given at 0.068 ml per pound orally twice a day for 3-5 days.

Back
Top Bottom