Possible egg bound???

VThomesteadgal

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2020
I have hen who I thought was egg bound, and brought her in to care for her. It’s been about 6 days and she is eating and drinking again just fine, pooping just fine. But is still doing the penguin walk. She seems not quite strong enough to stay out with the other chickens, although we have reintroduced slowly but she gets very scared and comes back to me. I’m wondering if there might be something else wrong with her. I thought I had felt the egg inside her, but she hasn’t passed it but has gotten all of her energy back. An input on other things it could be, or what else I can do.

she gets daily epsom salt soaks, she gets more calcium in her diet, I have rubbed both olive oil and Vaseline in her rear, she is able to walk and move it’s just slow, and a little wobbly at times. just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to help her.

How old is your hen? Do you know when she last laid?
If she is able to poop, then she isn't egg bound. If you are feeling a mass then it could be a reproductive problem like infection or a cancer, those are not uncommon especially in hens over the age of two.

How old is your hen? Do you know when she last laid?
If she is able to poop, then she isn't egg bound. If you are feeling a mass then it could be a reproductive problem like infection or a cancer, those are not uncommon especially in hens over the age of two.

she’s almost 3 years old. Unfortunately I am not totally sure the last time that she laid an egg. I do know they have worms and was thinking of getting some sort of dewormer if they are worth it.

How do you decide when a chicken is worth deworming? Knowing your flock has worms. Just curious.

well I only found out Friday about the potential of worms in the flock so I’ve just been doing research on the different kinds and the best kind. I’d like to deworm the flock, since my dog loves to eat their poop.

Don't wait too long to deworm you might have your flock very sick. Ask the emergency thread for advise on the quality of dewormer to use. The people that respond have first hand knowledge.

Valbazen or Safeguard will treat most types of worms, dosing is different for each, so once you know which you are going to use, you can get help with dosing. Both are given orally, directly to the bird(s). Safeguard (either liquid goat wormer or horse paste) are often available locally, Valbazen is usually mail order.
Most worms are host specific, so unlikely your dog will get worms from your chickens. However parasites can weaken your birds and in some cases make them very sick, so if you know you have them, then it's best to treat.

Valbazen or Safeguard will treat most types of worms, dosing is different for each, so once you know which you are going to use, you can get help with dosing. Both are given orally, directly to the bird(s). Safeguard (either liquid goat wormer or horse paste) are often available locally, Valbazen is usually mail order.
Most worms are host specific, so unlikely your dog will get worms from your chickens. However parasites can weaken your birds and in some cases make them very sick, so if you know you have them, then it's best to treat.

Thank you so so much. We just had to go through dewormer for our dog, we assumed he got it from eating all the chicken poop. Loves those little nuggets. I work on a horse farm and they use safeguard so I have that pretty readily available. This is probably a dumb question, but is it harmful if they don’t end up having worms to give them dewormer or does it not really affect them?

If you are not sure it's worms, then I would see if you can get a fecal float test done, it's not usually very expensive if you have a vet that will do it for you. That way you don't treat unneccessarily, and you will know for sure what you are treating for and make sure to use the best medication and dosing for it. In general the wormer should not hurt them if they are healthy, if a bird was weak and sick with something else then the treatment could possibly be too hard on them. Why do you think worms are an issue?

Back
Top Bottom