Possible egg bound

beckt

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Indiana
Need advice. One of my girls is possible egg bound. I know about the warm water soak but was wondering if it might be to hot for that. It is 91 degrees outside right now and 93 inside where I would have to soak her.

Feel her butt, do you feel any eggs? If not she is probably not egg bound. Is this a heat wave for you? The hen may just be stressed.

If she is heat stressed I read you can bring her inside and put her on a cool wet towel and when i did this to one of mine she stopped panting and was fine shortly, and I returned her to the outside after dipping her in a little cool water also. If she is egg bound there are remedies, i haven't had this happen to me but be sure to google it if you don't find an answer soon here. And in the bigger picture if she is bound they say it's related to nutrition, so i added oyster shells. Good luck, I hope it's something simple like just the heat !

Yes it is a heat wave for sure. 90+ for so many days. I did have her in the van with the a/c on low and she did seem to feel better. I took her to a friends house to have her help me lube her vent. When we got back it had cooled some and she was walking around the yard eating stuff, took a dust bath and was at the feeder at feeding time and is drinking. She was up on the roost at bed time also. I worry about my older girls and she is 7 years old now. Will see what the morning brings.

Back
Top Bottom