Possible egg eater. Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crchicks, Jun 5, 2017.

1. crchicks

crchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Abilene, Tx
    I have a hen that went broody in March. She hatched and took care of her babies and has been back to laying for a couple weeks. My problem is that I've been getting less eggs than normal, and I've had eggs go missing from the nesting box. I just saw my broody run out of the coop with an egg shell in her beak. There was still a yolk and white in the nest box when I checked but the entire egg shell was gone. They have oyster shell for calcium supplement so I don't know what could've caused this to start.

The Angry Hen likes this.
  2. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine. Yah, Anotha Mainah!
    Put golf balls, wooden eggs or ceramic eggs into the nest, when they peck they eggs, they'll find out not to peck the eggs.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be she is lacking animal protein.

Gather eggs often and replace with the fake eggs as suggested above.

The Angry Hen likes this.
  4. lovemyelement

lovemyelement New Egg

Jun 6, 2015
    Same problem here. I did both, oyster shells for calcium and fake eggs. I also threw in some new toys to make sure they had something to keep them busy and entertained. I did this all immediately when I realized it was a hen and not an accidental break and it seems like I get about as many eggs as I have hens so it must have worked. But, if you have a broody those fake eggs are so tempting for them I have found. My broody gets excited and starts trying to hatch them. Silly hens. =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by