Possible Eggs Colors?

dbtcowgirl

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jun 3, 2020
As always thank you in advance for all your knowledge. I bought Bielefelder pullets from a friend and somehow I wound up with one cream legbar (she raises those too and must have had a mix up) I like the pullet a lot and am happy to have her. Here is my question, I have a selection of roosters to put her with, from my understanding if I breed her to my French Copper Maran roo will that be an Olive Egger? Second question, if I put her in with my Bielefelder will their offspring retain the auto sexing quality?
Thanks for letting me pick your brain!

WVBirdsAndBees

Chirping
Mar 30, 2020
As long as she has 2 blue egg genes like most cream legbars, she should make olive eggers if bred with the BCM. Shade can vary widely and you won't know for a while but it's worth a shot.

We are planning to do this mix but with marans and cream legbar hens covered by a cream legbar roo. The one olive egger with similar genes we have now has a funny small crest and great temperament.

As for auto sexing with bielefelder x cream legbar chicks, I'm not an expert. Just from a quick search, I'd guess the chicks would be likely to retain some sexable features but you might have to go by observation/trial and error at first. The autosexing on some lines can already be hit or miss. Might be a lot of variables but it would make an interesting project.

Glad you like the cream legbar. They are our favorites.

Top Bottom