Possible elimination of 4-H in our county :( *update 3/12 Good news*

Quote:
I guess it depends on state and county. I was just looking at another 4-H website for a different county in our state. This is what it says on their page.
There are no fees for participation in 4-H. 4-H Youth Development programs are offered to all youth grades 1-13, without regard to race, sex, disability or handicap,color, national origin, religion, or age.

Funding and support are provided by Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey; U.S. Department of Agriculture and County Board of Chosen Freeholders.

So at least in our state it looks like it is up to the County Freeholders.​

Well as of today the county is now indicating that 4-H will not be eliminated but that there will be some funding cuts. Still waiting to find out what this means, but at least the news that 4-H won't be eliminated is good.
ya.gif

Quote:
Seems to me that it's times like that when 4-H and other Self-Suff programs should be boosting membership, not cutting it. Guess the only thing you can do is try and influence those making the decision. Get in touch with any and all 4-H folks, current and past, teachers, local farmers/ranchers, SPREAD THE WORD about the problem looming and when the meeting is being held. Tell them to come if they can make it, if they can't please call or write... and include all numbers, addresses, email, etc.

If the leaders realize just how many people they will be upsetting then they may reconsider... but if they don't know then they can't be blamed for thinking that this is just a very small program that no one will miss.

Just my two cents *passes salt shaker*

Edit... whoops shoulda read the update first... still might not hurt to get on the horn... make the cuts as shallow as possible??

Last edited:
from 3/11/2010

Freeholders: 4-H will not be eliminated

Dozens of members of the county farming community converged on the Board of Freeholder's meeting Wednesday night urging them to continue its financial backing of agricultural support programs including 4-H Club, Master Gardeners and agricultural and resource management.......

The large crowd, which included many children and teenagers who participate in 4-H, brought signs in support of the program and were ready to fight the board to keep the popular program intact despite assurances last week by the county that it was not looking to cut 4-H or other extension service......

So it looks good for the 4-H. They are still looking to cut some funding, but will not be eliminating the program.
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom