Possible Eye Infection?

BlueSoul

Chirping
May 11, 2021
I really hope someone can help me with this.

I got three goslings about a week and a half ago, they're around two weeks, and they're doing really well but my mom pointed it the smallest one's eye last night. Until recently, I believed their eyes were fine because they're not cloudy, swollen or runny but they all have light blue eyes and the whites of their eyes are red, the fluff around their eyes are flat or 'bald'. I've also saw my goslings scratching their beaks slot but found no mites so I wrote it off as their fluff just being itchy (I'm kinda a airhead sometimes 😅). I'll post pictures but I'm sorry if they don't turn out the best.

Attachments

• IMG_20220417_235317017.jpg
    IMG_20220417_235317017.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220417_235327028.jpg
    IMG_20220417_235327028.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 3
Mites can be really hard to spot sometimes so that’s still a possibility.

Another is a reaction to something in their environment, what kind of bedding are you using for them? Is there any kind of aerosols or fumes they could have been sexposed to?

There’s also a possibility of some sort of bacterial or fungal skin infection, keepma close eye on it and if it looks like it’s worsening I would get them seen by a vet immediately.

There could be a chance it’s feather loss because of a vitamin deficiency, what kind of feed are they fed?

Mites can be really hard to spot sometimes so that’s still a possibility.

Another is a reaction to something in their environment, what kind of bedding are you using for them? Is there any kind of aerosols or fumes they could have been sexposed to?

There’s also a possibility of some sort of bacterial or fungal skin infection, keepma close eye on it and if it looks like it’s worsening I would get them seen by a vet immediately.

There could be a chance it’s feather loss because of a vitamin deficiency, what kind of feed are they
I'm using pine shavings, I clean the box daily. No fumes or anything inside my house. I give them crumbles from my feed store and niacin water once or twice a week, fresh water multiple times.
The woman I bought them from also gave us chicks that we found mites on, the geese were in a crate with the chicks during transport. I'm continuing to check the geese.

It’s most likey mites, they can be particularly hard to spot.

Some mites can be warded off by crushing a clove of garlic in a bucket of water every day for several days and letting them drink, bath in it “outside or somewhere water won’t be an issue,” the mites can’t stand the garlic.

If you have a really bad infestation you can try ivermectin, though I don’t know the dosage for goslings so be careful.

It’s most likey mites, they can be particularly hard to spot.

Some mites can be warded off by crushing a clove of garlic in a bucket of water every day for several days and letting them drink, bath in it “outside or somewhere water won’t be an issue,” the mites can’t stand the garlic.

If you have a really bad infestation you can try ivermectin, though I don’t know the dosage for goslings so be careful.
We have ivermectin, it's what we used on the chicks and other poltry, I'll do some research and try the garlic. Thank you!😊

Back
Top Bottom