Possible eye injury/infection

Tylan50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.
IF you can only do twice a day then I would give it at 0.30ml per pound of weight for 5 days in a row.

Below are photos, description and video of how to give oral meds. I like to place the hen on a table so she can stand (easier on my back too!), I drape my left arm over her and pull her to my body and lock her in with my elbow, this allows me to have my left hand free to help control the head and pull down on wattles to open the beak. Right hand gives meds and also helps to control bird and open beak. Takes practice.
Some find that swaddling the hen in a thin piece of cloth or towel helps a lot, if you have the wings captured, then you have a lot more control.

It's possible that she doesn't have respiratory illness and just has eye infection - could be from getting something in the eye, injury (poke/peck/scratch) to the eye, etc.
Keep working on the eye, if you can get photos of what it looks like open that may help. Swelling like that usually always has some pus, so work on flushing, give the tissue some good pressing to see if any pus will arise too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Tylan50 dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.
IF you can only do twice a day then I would give it at 0.30ml per pound of weight for 5 days in a row.

Below are photos, description and video of how to give oral meds. I like to place the hen on a table so she can stand (easier on my back too!), I drape my left arm over her and pull her to my body and lock her in with my elbow, this allows me to have my left hand free to help control the head and pull down on wattles to open the beak. Right hand gives meds and also helps to control bird and open beak. Takes practice.
Some find that swaddling the hen in a thin piece of cloth or towel helps a lot, if you have the wings captured, then you have a lot more control.

It's possible that she doesn't have respiratory illness and just has eye infection - could be from getting something in the eye, injury (poke/peck/scratch) to the eye, etc.
Keep working on the eye, if you can get photos of what it looks like open that may help. Swelling like that usually always has some pus, so work on flushing, give the tissue some good pressing to see if any pus will arise too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Great info and link. Thank you! Both eyes have been bubbly so I could only guess mycoplasma but since no one else is sick....no idea. Maybe I should think about a different med. 🤔

Great info and link. Thank you! Both eyes have been bubbly so I could only guess mycoplasma but since no one else is sick....no idea. Maybe I should think about a different med. 🤔

If both eyes are bubbly, then there's a good chance you are dealing with Mycoplasma.
Tylan50 is a very good antibiotic and will treat symptoms of Mycoplasma, but the eye must be cleaned out and any pus removed. An antibiotic will not dry up pus.

If both eyes are bubbly, then there's a good chance you are dealing with Mycoplasma.
Tylan50 is a very good antibiotic and will treat symptoms of Mycoplasma, but the eye must be cleaned out and any pus removed. An antibiotic will not dry up pus.
Thank you! Both eyes have been bubbly but 90% of the time it is just the one and that comes and goes. I got some pictures. I did press around the bad eye and I believe pus came out. I wiped it and applied Terramycin. Gave the correct dose today of Tylan. 1.4 cc 2x a day. Pulled gently on the wattles. So much easier!

Attachments

• 20230617_150825.jpg
    20230617_150825.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230617_150832.jpg
    20230617_150832.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230617_150839.jpg
    20230617_150839.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230617-153931_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230617-153931_Gallery.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 6
Finished her last dose (correct amount) this morning and sent her outside! She was scheduled to be done last night but we did one more this morning for good measure. We had been keeping her inside mostly and just putting her out with the flock from 4 or 5 pmish until bed and then bringing her in the house. Yesterday she went outside midday and did great. I bought these syringes with a very thin, curved plastic tip and they worked great. We all took turns with standard syringes and it was hit or miss but these seemed to be better. Got us closer to the target and was a narrow stream - less splashing! She handled the Terramycin ointment pretty well every time. Fingers crossed for our sweet Bunny. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom