Possible eye injury/infection

FridayGirl72

Chirping
Sep 15, 2022
Please see picture. Background: About a month ago I noticed some wetness in my EE's beard and one of her eyes was bubbly and her nose seemed runny. I researched, thought it might be Mycoplasma, then the symptoms were gone wuthin an hour. No one else in the flock had this problem. A couple weeks later I noticed it again. It was gone a few minutes later. Today I noticed that she was intermittently closing one of her eyes was closed. I waited until she was roosting and got her down and took this picture. Should have taken a picture of her good eye for comparison in hindsight, but you can see that her eyelid is a bit swollen here and maybe she has been scratching at the eye? She seems to be keeping it closed now. I put neosporin in the corner of her eye with a qtip. Again, no other member of the flock has anything going on. Any advice?? 😣
20230612_234716.jpg

Please see picture. Background: About a month ago I noticed some wetness in my EE's beard and one of her eyes was bubbly and her nose seemed runny. I researched, thought it might be Mycoplasma, then the symptoms were gone wuthin an hour. No one else in the flock had this problem. A couple weeks later I noticed it again. It was gone a few minutes later. Today I noticed that she was intermittently closing one of her eyes was closed. I waited until she was roosting and got her down and took this picture. Should have taken a picture of her good eye for comparison in hindsight, but you can see that her eyelid is a bit swollen here and maybe she has been scratching at the eye? She seems to be keeping it closed now. I put neosporin in the corner of her eye with a qtip. Again, no other member of the flock has anything going on. Any advice?? 😣
View attachment 3539774
Oh, man that looks pretty darn bad! Do you have polysporin/neosporin eye drops available? I used that on Mabel and some of my rabbits (Mabel is one of my chickens).
If you can maybe put a bit of hydrogen peroxide on the eye, that might help infection. I am really not an expert, I just happened to be passing this by and thought I'd try to help

General care would be to flush the eye with saline, remove or press out any pus, then apply your ointment in the eye. Original Neosporin can be used or you can find Terramycin eye ointment in stores like TSC or online.

It's hard to tell what's going on, the photo is not quite clear. Watch to see that she's getting to food/water o.k. and take note of any other symptoms like coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils or lesions inside the beak.

General care would be to flush the eye with saline, remove or press out any pus, then apply your ointment in the eye. Original Neosporin can be used or you can find Terramycin eye ointment in stores like TSC or online.

It's hard to tell what's going on, the photo is not quite clear. Watch to see that she's getting to food/water o.k. and take note of any other symptoms like coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils or lesions inside the beak.
Thank you! I bought nasal saline but ultimately decided not to use it because it is not pure and has chemical preservatives in it. So I just used neosporin. I'll make my own saline tomorrow. Yes, the photo wasn't very good. 😣Should have brought her inside to take it.

Thank you! I bought nasal saline but ultimately decided not to use it because it is not pure and has chemical preservatives in it. So I just used neosporin. I'll make my own saline tomorrow. Yes, the photo wasn't very good. 😣Should have brought her inside to take it.
Good idea. Making your own is fairly easy and a lot cheaper.
When you get a chance, clearer photos may help. You'll want to try to get the eye open so you can see if there's pus that needs to be pressed out.

Good idea. Making your own is fairly easy and a lot cheaper.
When you get a chance, clearer photos may help. You'll want to try to get the eye open so you can see if there's pus that needs to be pressed out.
Thank you! We have started our treatment plan. I did actually make my own - I covered and boiled water for 15 minutes and ended up with a half a cup - put a half teaspoon of salt in that once it cooled. I irrigated the eye with that using a needleless syringe. Then I applied Terramycin in and around the eye using a qtip and took care to make sure I got some under the top lid on both eyes - will be doing that nightly. I like the idea of that being able to soak in throughout the night without activity/dirt, etc. Haven't seen evidence of pus but this is my first time super up close to chicken eyes so I'm not positive what I'm looking at. Looks very red, irritated and raw. I imagine the saline didn't feel very good! I'll be taking pictures starting tomorrow. She's also getting Tylan 50 (injectable) orally twice a day, before and after work. Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated! 😁

Thank you! We have started our treatment plan. I did actually make my own - I covered and boiled water for 15 minutes and ended up with a half a cup - put a half teaspoon of salt in that once it cooled. I irrigated the eye with that using a needleless syringe. Then I applied Terramycin in and around the eye using a qtip and took care to make sure I got some under the top lid on both eyes - will be doing that nightly. I like the idea of that being able to soak in throughout the night without activity/dirt, etc. Haven't seen evidence of pus but this is my first time super up close to chicken eyes so I'm not positive what I'm looking at. Looks very red, irritated and raw. I imagine the saline didn't feel very good! I'll be taking pictures starting tomorrow. She's also getting Tylan 50 (injectable) orally twice a day, before and after work. Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated! 😁
Sounds like you're on the right track.
Keep my posted on how she's doing.

Sounds like you're on the right track.
Keep my posted on how she's doing.
Well, she's crated in the house. We took her saddle off and she seems to be happy about that. To be honest we're having a hard time getting medicine in her. The first 2 doses were okay but since then she's fighting us. I need a trick. We've only been successful once a day the last couple of days. This morning we switched places and my husband got it on the first shot! so he's the nurse now, in the mean time anyway. Still putting Terramycin on 2x a day. She lets us know when she needs to lay an egg so she gets locked in the coop around mid morning/early afternoon, then we bring her back in once she lays her egg. Stumped that none of my other birds have this, but I'm thankful. We're doing .5 ml of the injectable Tylan 50. Is twice a day good at that amount? Sooo many different recommendations out there as far as dosing. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom