Possible First Egg ?!?!?!

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
This was found in the Splits' coop. They were hatched on April 10, making them 15 weeks today, and neither of the parent breeds of this cross, Orpington and Wyandotte, are noted for early laying so I'm skeptical. But I don't know why one of my other hens would decide to not just lay outside the box she's been using since December but in a different coop too.

0724211528.jpg
0724211528a.jpg
0724211543a.jpg
0724211544.jpg

I'm guessing that the green staining is either poop or grass clippings. If I'd found it in the box, or even in the coop outside the box, I'd suspect Popcorn, my SLW since it's a medium and about her color -- but I may have already had her egg since I've already got one in that color, though it *could* have been the Brahma's.

It's only the 5th egg of the day, so I can't be sure I've got another layer but it's weird to have it in the wrong place like that.

I didn't get another egg so for the moment I'm going to assume that Popcorn, for reasons known only to her chicken mind, decided to lay an egg in the playpen coop instead of her own, nice nestbox. I'd *thought* I already had her egg, but I think I'd rather believe a mature hen laid in a weird place than that a hybrid of two later-laying breeds laid a month early.

A couple of the splits have sampled the oystershell and they've observed the adults in the nests but none are squatting and I haven't seen them actually in the nests.

I have a large Wyandotte that when she's about to lay she stands up and walks forward so her egg never ends up in the nesting box.

Yes, I've been wanting to do that just to check on their progress.

Unfortunately, these are the ones I can't catch even at night because they're in the improvised coop that is too deep for even the long-armed, 6-foot son to reach to the back (we had to take the roof off to access the egg).

Soon everyone will be in the Chicken Palace and that problem will be over.

I would say it's not a first egg. At 15 weeks old I would think the egg would be small or Peewee size.
My 4 ISA Browns (14 months old) lay before 9 am daily. If I don't get 4 eggs at that time, someone is taking a holiday. I never get eggs from them later in the day that is until yesterday.
I was walking back to the house from the shed and low and behold I found an egg under my cars rear bumper.
20210724_154019_resized.jpg

I only let my hens free range an hour before sunset so the hen laid after 7 pm.
So sometimes they just can't make it to the nest in time.
I'm happy she didn't lay in there favorite foraging area.
20210722_194642_resized.jpg

I never would of come across it. GC

I would say it's not a first egg. At 15 weeks old I would think the egg would be small or Peewee size.
My 4 ISA Browns (14 months old) lay before 9 am daily. If I don't get 4 eggs at that time, someone is taking a holiday. I never get eggs from them later in the day that is until yesterday.
I was walking back to the house from the shed and low and behold I found an egg under my cars rear bumper.View attachment 2772955
I only let my hens free range an hour before sunset so the hen laid after 7 pm.
So sometimes they just can't make it to the nest in time.
I'm happy she didn't lay in there favorite foraging area.View attachment 2772961
I never would of come across it. GC

All of the current Ladies have laid at least medium eggs from day one, though Popcorn's is usually the smallest. But they were over 5 months, having hatched in late June and starting laying in December.

The Splits, who seem likely to end up as big girls, are currently larger than Chipotle, the California White, though not as big as the SLW or the smaller Blue Australorp.

If I don't find 6 eggs one day soon I'm going to assume that Popcorn was doing experimental nesting.

I'm always amazed to hear of flocks that lay on schedule. I get eggs at any time of day.

I'm always amazed to hear of flocks that lay on schedule. I get eggs at any time of day.
Yeah, it's normal behavior with the Sex-links I've had. My Golden Comets were the same way laying before 9 am.

Now my Barred Rocks flock could lay anytime during the day, but usually by 1 pm when I give them the afternoon treat. GC

Yeah, it's normal behavior with the Sex-links I've had. My Golden Comets were the same way laying before 9 am.

Now my Barred Rocks flock could lay anytime during the day, but usually by 1 pm when I give them the afternoon treat. GC

I suppose that's bred into them for the needs of commercial production.

Back
Top Bottom