Possible Fowl Pox?

EliseNB

Hatching
Oct 31, 2021
Hi, I'm new to this site, but have had chickens for several years. I just noticed this on one of my birds, did some quick research, and would just like to confirm that it is indeed fowl pox. šŸ˜’
If it is, all suggestions as to treatment and how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. TIA
1635716675678859123611506602876.jpg

Attachments

• 16357166956833729341862855958063.jpg
    16357166956833729341862855958063.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 5
You can put iodine in their water to ward off any secondary infection. I think the dosage is 4 drops iodine to one gallon of water. I used Povidone-iodine because that is what I had on hand. Dosage is important.

You can put iodine in their water to ward off any secondary infection. I think the dosage is 4 drops iodine to one gallon of water. I used Povidone-iodine because that is what I had on hand. Dosage is important.
I agree, dosage is important.

For sanitizing water - for 1% Iodine it's 1 teaspoon Iodine to 1 gallon of water. For 2% Iodine it's 1/2 teaspoon Iodine to 1 gallon of water.

I didn't quarantine any of my birds when they started getting it, I've just been monitoring them. Just didn't make sense to separate them because I can't keep the mosquitoes away and they're probably infected already so why cause more stress. Half mine are recovered and the other half I'm just waiting for the scabs to fall off. Only 1 I gave special attention because she got a blister on the upper and lower eyelid, I only dabbed it with antibiotic ointment to prevent secondary infection, they're too close to the eye that I can't dab them with iodine without getting it in her eye so I skipped that and swelling went down in 3 days and she was able to open it enough to see from that side. She did isolate herself in the coop those 3 days only coming out to eat and drink, I assume because she couldn't see properly and has been out like normal again since being able to open it again.

I didn't quarantine any of my birds when they started getting it, I've just been monitoring them. Just didn't make sense to separate them because I can't keep the mosquitoes away and they're probably infected already so why cause more stress. Half mine are recovered and the other half I'm just waiting for the scabs to fall off. Only 1 I gave special attention because she got a blister on the upper and lower eyelid, I only dabbed it with antibiotic ointment to prevent secondary infection, they're too close to the eye that I can't dab them with iodine without getting it in her eye so I skipped that and swelling went down in 3 days and she was able to open it enough to see from that side. She did isolate herself in the coop those 3 days only coming out to eat and drink, I assume because she couldn't see properly and has been out like normal again since being able to open it again.
Seems I have a new hen in the same condition with a scab over the left eye. Is iodine in the eye bad? Just checking in this before administering treatment.

Also I have (non-pain relief) triple antibiotic ointment available for treatment as well..

Back
Top Bottom