Possible Fowl Pox?

Seems I have a new hen in the same condition with a scab over the left eye. Is iodine in the eye bad? Just checking in this before administering treatment.

Also I have (non-pain relief) triple antibiotic ointment available for treatment as well..
I would take care applying Iodine near the eye. It can help dry up Fowl Pox lesions, but you still want to use caution and not disturb the lesions (don't rub!) since this can cause it to spread.

The article that outlines caring for birds with Fowl Pox linked previously by @Eggcessive in post#2 is well worth the read.

I would take care applying Iodine near the eye. It can help dry up Fowl Pox lesions, but you still want to use caution and not disturb the lesions (don't rub!) since this can cause it to spread.

The article that outlines caring for birds with Fowl Pox linked previously by @Eggcessive in post#2 is well worth the read.
Thank you. I went back and re read them.

Seems I have a new hen in the same condition with a scab over the left eye. Is iodine in the eye bad? Just checking in this before administering treatment.

Also I have (non-pain relief) triple antibiotic ointment available for treatment as well..
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but yes iodine in the eye can damage the eye so you have to be careful when applying it. There is an eye ointment available that I can't remember the name of everyone is recommending but I don't have any and antibiotic ointment was verified by a few as a safe alternative. It only took a week from the start of the eye swelling until the scabs were completely gone. I'm not sure if she's just in really good health or if the eyes heal faster in general but she's the quickest to recover so far. I've got 3 girls left out of 17 that haven't gotten any yet, first one started over a month ago and they seemed to show symptoms in groups of 3-5 at a time instead of all at once which has made observing them easier. Just waiting on these last 3 to be officially done with it, thank goodness they can't get it again, I imagine it must feel awful having sores on their heads.

Back
Top Bottom