Possible Gapeworm in crop...?

Chixandhens

Hatching
Oct 26, 2020
I am new to this group. First timer for raising chickens since I was a young girl. So I need a little help with diagnosing what a healthy chicken crop vs. non-healthy should look like. We found what appears to be Black eggs in the chicken’s airway/throat.
I do have pics of the crop but since I never seen a health crop...? I do not know what gapeworm eggs looks like either. But someone suggested this may be the culprit. I tried searching the web but nothing comes close to what we have seen in our chicken. Worried about other chickens now too.
We were planning on using the meat and not sure if it would even be safe for consumption.

I am new to this group. First timer for raising chickens since I was a young girl. So I need a little help with diagnosing what a healthy chicken crop vs. non-healthy should look like. We found what appears to be Black eggs in the chicken’s airway/throat.
I do have pics of the crop but since I never seen a health crop
...? I do not know what gapeworm eggs looks like either. But someone suggested this may be the culprit. I tried searching the web but nothing comes close to what we have seen in our chicken. Worried about other chickens now too.
We were planning on using the meat and not sure if it would even be safe for consumption.
Welcome To BYC!

If you can post the photos they may be helpful. Did you get a photo of what's inside the beak too?
We love photos, so load us up!:)

How old are they?
What do you feed?

You mention you are planning on using the meat but are unsure of safety. Are these meat birds (Cornish Cross, Red Rangers, etc.) or Dual Purpose Large Fowl?

Also healthy crop vs. non healthy crop - is this on a live chicken or processed?

Welcome To BYC!

If you can post the photos they may be helpful. Did you get a photo of what's inside the beak too?

How old are they?
What do you feed?

You mention you are planning on using the meat but are unsure of safety. Are these meat birds (Cornish Cross, Red Rangers, etc.) or Dual Purpose Large Fowl?

Also healthy crop vs. non healthy crop - is this on a live chicken or processed?

Welcome To BYC!

IMG_1512.jpg
View attachment 2388011View attachment 2388012 IMG_1512.jpg
Photos would be very helpful ☺

How old are they?
What do you feed?

I
Welcome To BYC!

How old are they?
What do you feed?

**Im pretty sure i sent a reply totally in the wrong location. But Im not so tech savvy. Anyways, here are some answers to your questions.

I’m in South Central PA, I have (3) RIR Hens, and (5) 12 wk old Buff Orpington pullets. This was my RIR hen, approx 1 yr old. She was not producing eggs. She had symptoms of gasping for air, moving her beak as if choking for 2 days. Thought something may be lodged in her throat. I Had my son check and didn’t see anything, but we dont know what we were looking for. She was twisting her neck around and trying to heave. There were no other signs of illness. So we thought to cull her would be the most humane thing to do. Upon investigating, my sons found this in her crop. See photos of crop -
--none of the beak

Feed: Purina Layena Crumbles Free- Oyster shell free ranged Veg/Fruit scraps

Also: Not sure if we can consume the meat or not.

I apologize - I had no clue how to even submit a reply when I started this response

SherryView attachment 2388011View attachment 2388012
IMG_1512.jpg

Welcome To BYC!

How old are they?
What do you feed?

All photos did not upload for some reason. Should the meat be destroyed?

Attachments

• C0122271-E121-4F12-A13B-A08AFEE8BA2D.jpeg
    C0122271-E121-4F12-A13B-A08AFEE8BA2D.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 0929AC0E-1C44-4CAE-AF5F-FC645DC13A7B.jpeg
    0929AC0E-1C44-4CAE-AF5F-FC645DC13A7B.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 13
  • BC7B72CF-1A3E-46AC-9E57-9A7F42C16F23.jpeg
    BC7B72CF-1A3E-46AC-9E57-9A7F42C16F23.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom