Possible hatchlings?? Help! Advice?!

Sassy-ChikN Mom

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
So my little silkie Roos have been ‘hanging out’ A LOT with one of my silkie hens. She has now become super broody, but kept leaving the nest box and abandoning the eggs, so I started taking them and moving them under a Larger hen that has gone SUPER SUPER broody.

she is currently sitting on 5 silkie eggs. I am so new to having fertilized eggs as I’ve always started with chicks. I did the candle test on them tonight and I saw an air sac & blood vessels in 4 of the 5.

now my momma nerves are setting in. I just bought an incubator a few weeks ago, but have yet to set it up. My questions are:

1. did I do anything to mess up the egg development by clumsily doing the candle test? Like should I have held them a certain way?

2. Is there a certain flashlight that should be used? I used a generic LED household flashlight

3. should I leave the eggs under my broody surrogate momma? Or move them to the incubator?

4. How often should I check the eggs for viability?

thanks in advance! I’m an excited ball of nerves… if that makes sense. LOL

Chicken poppy

Crowing
May 9, 2021
Connecticut
So my little silkie Roos have been ‘hanging out’ A LOT with one of my silkie hens. She has now become super broody, but kept leaving the nest box and abandoning the eggs, so I started taking them and moving them under a Larger hen that has gone SUPER SUPER broody.

she is currently sitting on 5 silkie eggs. I am so new to having fertilized eggs as I’ve always started with chicks. I did the candle test on them tonight and I saw an air sac & blood vessels in 4 of the 5.

now my momma nerves are setting in. I just bought an incubator a few weeks ago, but have yet to set it up. My questions are:

1. did I do anything to mess up the egg development by clumsily doing the candle test? Like should I have held them a certain way?

2. Is there a certain flashlight that should be used? I used a generic LED household flashlight

3. should I leave the eggs under my broody surrogate momma? Or move them to the incubator?

4. How often should I check the eggs for viability?

thanks in advance! I’m an excited ball of nerves… if that makes sense. LOL
Hey! Id love to help as much as possible, as im decently experinced with this type of thing!
1. nono, dont be to worried. Candling is delicate, but that is truly later on developed, you dont want to shake them around a bunch, the fat side should be down and the skinny at the top

2. No, flashlights arent bad or anything, you need them very bright to get into the shell

3. it can depend, i think id leave them there, its easier that way in my opinion, if you do decide to put them in incubation, it takes time. And do it sooner then later. Before lockdown (day 17 or so)

4. i typically candle them every week or so, dont do it to often (not that its bad, its just more chances of dropping them and such, and its best for nature to take its time!)

and you should be! Congratulations on this! It sounds very exciting, just ask if you have any more questions, im happy to awnser the best i can!

Sassy-ChikN Mom

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
All fluffed put this morning! Still waiting on the other 2 eggs… nothing yet.
784650C7-FE21-410D-A137-CA220CDE3F7A.jpeg

Attachments

• D8DE6F70-83A3-4641-9664-02D9AF09307C.jpeg
    D8DE6F70-83A3-4641-9664-02D9AF09307C.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 8CB5FE0C-1CA4-4390-9631-7F8A7EEBABAF.jpeg
    8CB5FE0C-1CA4-4390-9631-7F8A7EEBABAF.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 2

NatJ

Free Ranging
Mar 20, 2017
USA
I love plymouths, once they hatch you can instantly tell the gender! :)
their sex links, so you simply tell by the dot on their head, if i remember correctly, if its big, its male, small, female!

Not quite.

"Plymouth Rock" is a breed that comes in many colors: White, Barred, Buff, Partridge, etc.

The only ones you can sex by color are the Barred Plymouth Rocks (also called Barred Rocks.)

And they are autosexing, not sexlinks.

Sexlinks are one-time hybrids. To get them, you cross one color of male with a different color of female and you can sex the chicks by color. But when they grow up and produce chicks, you cannot sex those by color.

Autosexing means they breed true, and you can sex them in every generation. So you can sex purebred Barred Rocks by color (the spot on their head.)

Yes, the males usually have a larger head spot and the females usually have a smaller head spot or none at all.

Huntmaster

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 2, 2021
North West Ohio
You’re not being confusing at all! The info is super helpful, especially the lock down period!
My dumb self would have been candling them until they hatched!

since I don’t know when exactly day 17 will be, I only dated 1 egg 🙄, 9/21, I’ll just stop candling on Oct 2nd. And as luck would have it, the one I dated is the one that I don’t think is viable…

all the eggs were laid when in 1-2 days on either side of the 9/21 egg…
Not sure if you are saying that eggs were just laid 1-2 days on either side of 9/21 , or if you put them under broody at all different dates? Its always best to put all eggs under broody at same time as not to have eggs hatching to far apart from each other that broody takes older chicks from nest and abandoning later eggs that have not hatched yet.

Sassy-ChikN Mom

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
We have a 3rd baby! Still waiting on 2 more eggs. 1 under surrogate momma and the 1 under silkie momma.

Note: surrogate momma seems to know something I don’t maybe??? When I was taking a pic of this chick, she made SURE to keep the last egg under her. If it got too far away from her, she used her beak and made sure it was right where she wanted it under her. 🤞🏻 we will have a pip tomorrow!
F6EC3F01-263B-4DB7-B5CD-78BA0AB78978.jpeg
A48EAB70-5B8D-4B98-B809-70FA72397C7A.jpeg

NatJ

Free Ranging
Mar 20, 2017
USA
Like what is splash vs paint?
Splash looks light gray, or sometimes white, with smudges of dark gray or black.

Paint is a white chicken with some black areas in the feathers.

Genetically, Splash is a chicken with two copies of the Blue gene. (No copies of the gene let the bird have black, one copy turns all black into "blue" which looks gray, two copies turns all black into splash, which is a white or light gray color, with splotches or "splashes" of black.)

Paint is a chicken that is genetically all black, but with one copy of the Dominant White gene. That gene turns black into white, but it misses some bits, so the chicken has bits of black here and there. Two copies of the Dominant White gene does a more thorough job of turning black into white, so it can make a black chicken into a completely white one.

Blue/Splash and Dominant White are genes that only affect black, not gold or red or brown shades. So they can change the color of an all-black chicken, or they can turn black markings into blue or splash or white markings. For example, in Laced chickens, you can have Gold Laced (black edges on gold feathers), or Blue Laced Gold (gray edges on gold feathers) or Splash Laced Gold (very pale gray edges on gold feathers) or White Laced Gold (white edges on gold feathers.) When laced feathers have white centers instead of gold, that's because of a different gene (Silver) turning the gold into white but not affecting the black.

Sassy-ChikN Mom

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
@Weeg @Chicken poppy Momma was up and out of the box today teaching the chicks how to ‘forage’. It was so cute watching her find crickets, holding them, then giving to each after calling them over.

My question… at what point should I move them out of the maternity ward and into their own pen? I have a hen house that a few of my older hens go into at night; but I could easily move them to the larger coop.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Top Bottom