Possible hatchlings?? Help! Advice?!

It looks like one of them is a splash! I could be wrong though! (probably am!)
I’ll go with your prediction! I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of colors, genes etc. I know the basics (black, white, buff, barred, etc) but still have A LOT to learn. Like what is splash vs paint?:confused:;)

the one you’re thinking is a splash, are you talking about the one with the stripe going down the back?

I’ll go with your prediction! I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of colors, genes etc. I know the basics (black, white, buff, barred, etc) but still have A LOT to learn. Like what is splash vs paint?:confused:;)

the one you’re thinking is a splash, are you talking about the one with the stripe going down the back?
Yes, the one with the Chipmunk pattern. I had a Serama chick with that pattern that turned out Mottled, but I know nothing about genetics and colors either hahaha!

Like what is splash vs paint?
Splash looks light gray, or sometimes white, with smudges of dark gray or black.

Paint is a white chicken with some black areas in the feathers.

Genetically, Splash is a chicken with two copies of the Blue gene. (No copies of the gene let the bird have black, one copy turns all black into "blue" which looks gray, two copies turns all black into splash, which is a white or light gray color, with splotches or "splashes" of black.)

Paint is a chicken that is genetically all black, but with one copy of the Dominant White gene. That gene turns black into white, but it misses some bits, so the chicken has bits of black here and there. Two copies of the Dominant White gene does a more thorough job of turning black into white, so it can make a black chicken into a completely white one.

Blue/Splash and Dominant White are genes that only affect black, not gold or red or brown shades. So they can change the color of an all-black chicken, or they can turn black markings into blue or splash or white markings. For example, in Laced chickens, you can have Gold Laced (black edges on gold feathers), or Blue Laced Gold (gray edges on gold feathers) or Splash Laced Gold (very pale gray edges on gold feathers) or White Laced Gold (white edges on gold feathers.) When laced feathers have white centers instead of gold, that's because of a different gene (Silver) turning the gold into white but not affecting the black.

Well… big momma kicked out the remaining egg she had under her this morning. When I found it while checking on everyone, I moved it to silkie momma since her egg hasn’t hatched yet. While putting everyone to bed tonight and checking on them again, she also had kicked the egg out. So I candled it…. And unfortunately there was a blood line. I apologize ahead of time if this is TMI, but after verifying it was no longer viable, I decided to open it.

The poor baby was fully developed with just a slight bit of a yolk sac left. I don’t know what happened. And I’m questioning myself… did I move it too much? Did I touch it wrong? Did I jostle it while checking on momma and the new babies?? I’m trying to tell myself that it’s a part of life and that these things happen, but I’m still bummed.

And again, thank you to everyone who has helped with my many many questions, given advice, support, etc. It has really meant the world to me. I feel like you all are my chicken friends!

Well… big momma kicked out the remaining egg she had under her this morning. When I found it while checking on everyone, I moved it to silkie momma since her egg hasn’t hatched yet. While putting everyone to bed tonight and checking on them again, she also had kicked the egg out. So I candled it…. And unfortunately there was a blood line. I apologize ahead of time if this is TMI, but after verifying it was no longer viable, I decided to open it.

The poor baby was fully developed with just a slight bit of a yolk sac left. I don’t know what happened. And I’m questioning myself… did I move it too much? Did I touch it wrong? Did I jostle it while checking on momma and the new babies?? I’m trying to tell myself that it’s a part of life and that these things happen, but I’m still bummed.

And again, thank you to everyone who has helped with my many many questions, given advice, support, etc. It has really meant the world to me. I feel like you all are my chicken friends!
I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs
Sometimes they just don't make it, don't blame yourself, things happen, and it was very brave of you to do an egg-topsy. Sometimes photos of the cracked eggs will make it possible for more experienced members to see what happened.
Is momma Silkies egg still viable? Is she still sitting strong?

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs
Sometimes they just don't make it, don't blame yourself, things happen, and it was very brave of you to do an egg-topsy. Sometimes photos of the cracked eggs will make it possible for more experienced members to see what happened.
Is momma Silkies egg still viable? Is she still sitting strong?
Thank you. Yes, as far as I could tell baby was still viable and yes, momma is going strong on the egg!
I don’t really have much of the eggshell left, but I do have the baby.

Thank you, I know it’s just nature taking it’s course, but it still stings a little. But on the bright side, I still have 3 little angels and hopefully 1 more tomorrow.

Checked on everyone this morning… big momma was out of the box with her chicks and lil momma was on her egg.

when I checked her, I found this! Hopefully we have a 4th today!
E1AF7FD2-E5E5-4611-B035-68C1D8C883B7.jpeg

@Weeg @Chicken poppy Momma was up and out of the box today teaching the chicks how to ‘forage’. It was so cute watching her find crickets, holding them, then giving to each after calling them over.

My question… at what point should I move them out of the maternity ward and into their own pen? I have a hen house that a few of my older hens go into at night; but I could easily move them to the larger coop.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom