possible Hawk threat?

Zealo

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
This morning I found a red tailed hawk feather right outside my coop. I had my girls running around in a separate area, lucky the hawk didn't figure that out. But now with the possible threat of a hawk flying around my home, I've been keeping the girls inside their coop. The Eagles in my area seem to have little to no interest at the moment, which I'm glad for. I did have one juvenile stop and think about attacking my girls, but never actually tried. Just sat in a tree and then left. I've never had a bird of prey actually try and get in until now.

My coops a large, and slightly modified version of this, with chicken wire around it instead. We made sure that the wire was tight and well succored. Its managed to keep dogs, and raccoons out so far. But is there a change of a hawk getting through chicken wire??
How long will a hawk stick around before it gives up, or will I always have to worry about a hawk swooping down and grabbing a chicken when she's out and about.

Our hawks are constantly searching our property. I am a new chicken owner and have caught a hawk sitting on top of our chicken run. I only let my 4 girls out in the morning and evening with supervised free range. Or I pick up bugs and bring them to my girls. I just worry about them. Not to mention the fox running through the yard in the middle of the day.

Last edited:
You might want to supervise them when there out of their cage. I had a half kill my whole flock. But if your outside when your hens are out of their cage, I don't think the hawk would bother.

I have a juvenile red tail hawk living in my neighbor's tree. He is always around, but my Watch Crows in my tree usually sound the alarm. My free ranging chickens barely notice him. I'm sure the Hawk is going to have chicken dinner some day as he is swooping across the yard better and better, My Great Dane is out there a lot, and I hope will save my Little Fuzzy, ( my white Silkie) who is my favorite. Hawks have to eat too.

Back
Top Bottom