possible incubation problem....???

redneckchic

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
Northern California
Ok, Incubation Question:
I have the Farm Inovators Pro Series Incubator 4200, ciculated air, egg turner, blah blah...
Ive hatched literally dozens & dozens of egg in this bator I really like it and for the most part ive perfected how I like incubating. I usually hatch my own eggs, from my flocks. I bought an 18 pack that was mailed from only about 4hrs from me... the air cells were a bit detached but all but 4 developed up untill the last week, then died in the egg. I then bought another 10eggs and had them shipped from Connecticut to California. I let them rest longer than the 1st shipped batch before putting them in. All but 1 developed & showed great movent when candled at day 7 & day 14... yesterday was day 21 and only 2 have hatched so I candled and I believe the rest are dead in the egg :-(
I have 95% to 98% hatch rate on all my other eggs (not shipped). Does anyone have any input on what may be happening here? The first batch were Brahmas and this last batch were D'uccles, if that matters...? I really dont think its the moisture content in the egg, like there drowning at first pipe (its never been an issue in my others) Any and all input is welcome... I'm really upset this last batch did not make it!
Thanks all :)

Last edited:
If you are hatching your own with success, I would chalk it up to a not so kind and gentle USPS. I can hatch my own with 98%-100% on a regular basis, but shipped eggs I am happy with anything over 50%.

Have you hatched any of your own this year? If you have and you have maintained the success of the past that would be my only answer USPS.

Good Luck with the next hatch.

If you are hatching your own with success, I would chalk it up to a not so kind and gentle USPS.  I can hatch my own with 98%-100% on a regular basis, but shipped eggs I am happy with anything over 50%.

Have you hatched any of your own this year?  If you have and you have maintained the success of the past that would be my only answer USPS.

Good Luck with the next hatch.

Yes, ive hateched several dozen this year with great sucess. 2 batches ago with 98% any my last 12 doz with 100%. I know shipping is iffy... I guess I just figured if they developed so far that there would be a good chance of hatching well.

Last edited:
I understand your frustration, I have had the same issue in the past with shipped eggs. Maybe 75% of the eggs look good but for some unknown reason they fully develop, but don't hatch.

It seems odd to me as well that they would be alive and moving at day 14 and then die? I don't have an answer for you but I would think issues from shipping would be most likely to cause the eggs to quit early?

It seems odd to me as well that they would be alive and moving at day 14 and then die?  I don't have an answer for you but I would think issues from shipping would be most likely to cause the eggs to quit early?

I understand your frustration, I have had the same issue in the past with shipped eggs.  Maybe 75% of the eggs look good but for some unknown reason they fully develop, but don't hatch.

Well thanks for the feed back... I accidently posted this question in another section too but still getting answers and this seems to be the basic answer i'm getting. Even tho its disapointing im glad to kniw its most likely not something im doing wrong. I guess I just didnt realize how touchy the shipped eggs could be!

@blucoondawg it baffles me that they can get so far developed and just die... I would think they just wouldnt develop at all or die very early on. Guess its a lesson learned for me.

Thanks! :)

Is it me or do you happen to notice more fluid around the air sac in these eggs? I see it with shipped eggs only and never my own. When I see fluid I expect late death.

Is it me or do you happen to notice more fluid around the air sac in these eggs?  I see it with shipped eggs only and never my own.  When I see fluid I expect late death.

By candling the 1st shipped batch I couldn't tell any excess fluid... the 2nd I couldn't tell from candling either but I decided to crack these last ones open and other than some unabsorbed yolk, wich would be normal I didnt think there seemed to be any excessive liquid. Do you dry incubate or keep it humidified through the duration?

Back
Top Bottom