Possible infection, struggling to walk

chickster11

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2020
I’ve got a 5 month old Rooster who I have had trouble with since he was about 2 months. He couldn’t walk properly just waddle around on his hocks. I had got him better but then about a month ago he went back to walking funny he isn’t able to hold his own weight up, he isn’t on his hocks anymore but he isn’t standing properly he can only push himself up and looks like a penguin, the other day I found a sore on the inside of his hocks its hot and red and doesn’t look pretty. It’s not pleasant to look at but I really want to help him. Anyone know what I could possibly do to help him out. 87E228EE-7620-4045-B67B-05EA697EF538.jpeg 837A9801-E7D7-4ED0-97F5-4FF74A3043A4.jpeg 4E7CED53-2CAF-4C3F-8F88-A53B2B323160.jpeg

Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease as a chick? I am not an expert on Mareks, but that and riboflavin deficiency can cause walking on hocks. Symptoms can start as early as 5 weeks, but usually happen a little later. There is a skin form of Mareks as well. Riboflavin (B2) deficiency can cause curled under toes as well. Has he ever had that? I really don’t know if Mareks is what this is, but just a guess. He might have picked at the place on his leg, causing irritation. Mareks can be hard to diagnose while a chicken is alive, but most state vets will do a necropsy if he dies, and that can help to diagnose it.

Another possibility is a vitamin deficiency or a leg bone deformity. Riboflavin deficiency that causes curled toes and walking on hocks, must be treated right away for vitamins to help. If not it can become permanent. What have you done so far for the leg sore? You could clean it with Hibiclens and water, and apply some antibiotic ointment twice a day.

Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease as a chick? I am not an expert on Mareks, but that and riboflavin deficiency can cause walking on hocks. Symptoms can start as early as 5 weeks, but usually happen a little later. There is a skin form of Mareks as well. Riboflavin (B2) deficiency can cause curled under toes as well. Has he ever had that? I really don’t know if Mareks is what this is, but just a guess. He might have picked at the place on his leg, causing irritation. Mareks can be hard to diagnose while a chicken is alive, but most state vets will do a necropsy if he dies, and that can help to diagnose it.

Another possibility is a vitamin deficiency or a leg bone deformity. Riboflavin deficiency that causes curled toes and walking on hocks, must be treated right away for vitamins to help. If not it can become permanent. What have you done so far for the leg sore? You could clean it with Hibiclens and water, and apply some antibiotic ointment twice a day.
He’s been given vitamins and all sorts of electrolytes. I’ve been giving him massages and helping him stretch since he’s really tight in how legs I thought maybe he just slips a tendon or he just has some sorta problem with strength or soemthing I’m not sure i can get him standing and then he can hold himself up it’s just he can’t do it on his own. The injury on his leg is hot could it be infected if it is what should I do

Back
Top Bottom