Possible issue.. please advise

R_V

Chirping
Aug 27, 2017
Is this a strange sight to see every morning? I believe it is coming from the hen who is showing less energy (think: stunted steps and no more running) currently. Should I be worried? Is this egg yolk or poop and if it is egg yolk, what does it signify?

Attachments

• 20200401_152746.jpg
    20200401_152746.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Her pellets are readily available to her. Treats are given to her in the form of things like yogurt, apples, oatmeal, cooked white rice, bread. Otherwise she free ranges.
Sometimes a chicken can act lethargic if she's not getting enough high energy food. Do you feed corn?

Sometimes a chicken can act lethargic if she's not getting enough high energy food. Do you feed corn?
No. I was advised not to feed corn on the regular unless in small quantities especially during the colder months as the high calories(?) helps them produce heat. What are other high energy foods that you may know of?

Consistent juicy poops from a lethargic bird are signs that something is not right.

When I have a bird that is acting 'off' like that I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Back
Top Bottom