Possible Marek's in one of my hens?

Welcome!
Only necropsies, or testing through your state veterinary path lab, will give you the answers you need.
Have you checked them for mites or lice? At night, with a flashlight, while they are roosting, look for tiny moving specks, especially around their vents, or anywhere on the skin.
And call your state lab about testing.
Mary
I haven't noticed anything lately, but when it gets dark again I will check them each individually. I don't have any dead birds to send as of right now, but if I end up losing Boca I will definitely look into contacting someone about testing. Really hoping it doesn't come to that though.

Did your birds improve after you brought a vet in? Or was it more of a last-resort being humane type of visit? I'm sorry that you had it in your flock.
Ferdinand (my Rooster) was already super thin & there is no treatment for Mereks disease. The only prevention is vaccinating for Mereks @ 1 day old.
I gave him several things which the vet said were all good. (Not all at once)
(1) dewormed with Verbazen
(2) put flea & tic on him (Frontline- 2 drops)
(3) electrolytes/ probiotics (nutridrench+ water treatments)
(4) injectable antibiotics
(5) cat food

The vet offered to euthanize- but I took him home & continued antibiotics (hoping beyond hope he would recover). Ferdinand died in my arms. He was a VERY GOOD BOY.

Attachments

• 73FC3136-FF14-412C-B768-429EC78EB8FB.jpeg
    73FC3136-FF14-412C-B768-429EC78EB8FB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Ferdinand (my Rooster) was already super thin & there is no treatment for Mereks disease. The only prevention is vaccinating for Mereks @ 1 day old.
I gave him several things which the vet said were all good. (Not all at once)
(1) dewormed with Verbazen
(2) put flea & tic on him (Frontline- 2 drops)
(3) electrolytes/ probiotics (nutridrench+ water treatments)
(4) injectable antibiotics
(5) cat food

The vet offered to euthanize- but I took him home & continued antibiotics (hoping beyond hope he would recover). Ferdinand died in my arms. He was a VERY GOOD BOY.
(6) I dusted him with DE

Back
Top Bottom