1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possible Marek's. Please advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by izziebean, Jan 22, 2016.

1. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    How is she today?

-Kathy

2. waqar25pk

waqar25pk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2016
    Gujranwala .. Pakistan
    Hello every one ... Pls help me one of my hen start walking on one leg but she is eating well and seems active to ... No visible sign of injury etc what should I do ??

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

Welcome to BYC! Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

4. waqar25pk

Jan 25, 2016
    Gujranwala .. Pakistan
    No ... I m very new of chikan keeping so plz if some body know the cause help me... She is lying eggs daily ... But walking on her one leg..

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If there's no other signs and she seems fine, I would check her foot over for signs of wounds, otherwise It could be something like a sprain, and I would just watch to see if it gets better, and go from there.

1 person likes this.
  6. waqar25pk

Jan 25, 2016
    Gujranwala .. Pakistan
    Ok as u said .. But night temperature is 5 degree centigrde hare ... Is this possible cause on Ur opinion ?? Her feet is fine no sigh of ingry but she not using her second leg properly

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

Do an exam. Start by looking for any heat, coolness, lumps, cuts, bruises, swellings, etc. Make sure both legs look and feel identical. Make sure all joints flex the same amount. Then using your fingernail, start on the good leg and poke it. Start at the toes and work your way up the leg. Then do the bad leg. She should react the same in both legs. If she doesn't, I would suspect that there is a problem with her nerves.

Does that make sense?

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  8. waqar25pk

Jan 25, 2016
    Gujranwala .. Pakistan
    Ok I ll then inform u ...and thanks a lot for Ur time :)

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    You are welcome!

-Kathy

10. izziebean

izziebean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    Hey Kathy! Claire was sleepy this morning when I gave her liquids. She ate only a few pieces of food. I gave her 5cc of Gatorade. She tolerates me putting the liquids into her slowly for a bit bit then squirms furiously. Does she know when her crop is full? I pull the catheter out immediately. When I took the catheter out earlier, there were small bits of food on the catheter. Is that normal? She pooped a big pile this morning. It was a big lump. I can't tell if she is turning the corner or not. She did move over to the side of coop and prop herself up to sleep. That seems better than just laying in the middle.

Now, Milly is sneezing and wheezing. No weight loss yet. I'm going to buy more catheters today. She slept closest to heat lamp last night so she is fighting. She is still very strong and ate a lot of treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by