possible meat goat project?

redneckgirl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 8, 2007
hey im in FFA and was looking into raising a meat goat to sell at my county fair, I recently came across some boar/tog cross bucks, do you guys think one of these would grow fast enough to make weight at 60lbs by then end of july ? should I chance it?

or should I just get another milk goat to show at fair ? ( although these goats im looking into aren't registered like my Nigerians, the fact that these babies are bottle fed are a plus too me though...)

anyone ?

hu.gif

I would say a Boer/Togg cross would deffinetly hit the 60lbs by July. When in July and how old are the kids now?

I have no idea. Toggs are larger so it might work with the Boar but I don't have the experience to know.

I hope someone else will see this and jump in to give you some help.

I will assume you mean the goat is a wether...right? A boer is a meat goat where as a toggenburg is a milk goat. I would suggest a purebred or a percentage boer wether...with the proper feed your weight requirement shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah Toggs...like said above are a Dairy Breed. If you can either get a castrated ram lamb aka whether.....and or get a pure Boer.
Good Luck
smile.png

How much for the lambs? If it isn't a bad price I say go for it. Even if he doesn't make weight you got some meat for the freezer. But I would think Hybrid vigor would get him cookin pretty good...especially being a whether.
smile.png

the dairy goat farm he comes from is selling him $30 bucks with first shots, dehorning and everything....

Back
Top Bottom