Possible Merek's Infection, Need Help Confirming, Please?

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
I have a Cuckoo EE pullet who has a clouded pupil in one eye, & it seems smaller then the other. She behaves normally, eating, & drinking.
Her poop is normal to, she shows no other symptoms. I will be posting pictures of the questionable eye, with her other eye for comparison later.

I'll post poop pics if you think it's needed.
If it is Merek's Disease, I don't want it spreading to my other flocks, your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

She may have an eye injury, and just be a 'poor doer', instead of having Marek's disease. It's important to know either way! I think there's an inexpensive blood test that's helpful.
Check at the Michigan State University veterinary path lab website, and call them for advice. Otherwise, it's diagnosed by a post mortem exam.
Mary

She may have an eye injury, and just be a 'poor doer', instead of having Marek's disease. It's important to know either way! I think there's an inexpensive blood test that's helpful.
Check at the Michigan State University veterinary path lab website, and call them for advice. Otherwise, it's diagnosed by a post mortem exam.
Mary
I don't know the number, or location. If it's too far, we won't be able to make it.

I just noticed her odd looking eye yesterday, & didn't seem to have an obvious sign of injury.

I know I don't have any eye peckers, mostly bored feather pickers here, & there.

There can be a lot of causes for eye disorders, including injuries, infections, cataracts, vitamin deficiencies, Mareks disease, and exposure to virus earlier in life called AE. Mareks may cause a grey iris, and the pupil can appear irregular or pinpoint. Many chickens with Mareks do not have this form or symptom.

There can be a lot of causes for eye disorders, including injuries, infections, cataracts, vitamin deficiencies, Mareks disease, and exposure to virus earlier in life called AE. Mareks may cause a grey iris, and the pupil can appear irregular or pinpoint. Many chickens with Mareks do not have this form or symptom.
What is AE?

Back
Top Bottom