Possible MG in laying hens

Salsun

Hatching
Jul 1, 2021
Hello all! I have been reading through past posts on this, but can't seem to find a good answer to my situation. We are new to having chickens. We got our 1st 5 hens about a month ago and added 6 more a week or two later. All was going well at first, but we have had a couple of weeks of rainy weather and parts of our coop got wet and the run is also wet and puddly. Now many of the hens are sick. Symptoms are rattly breathing, coughing, sneezing, lethargy and eye bubbles. We have been working on making sure their coop is dry and are feeding them all kinds of herbs that are supposed to help (garlic, sage, rosemary, dill, etc). I have seen people suggesting culling the flock in case of MG, but is that necessary if our only goal is having eggs (no rooster and no hatching if eggs)? Is there anything else we can do for our hens?

I'm sorry...I thought I was posting in the right thread and somehow it is showing up in "hatching". I can't figure out how to move it!

Hello all! I have been reading through past posts on this, but can't seem to find a good answer to my situation. We are new to having chickens. We got our 1st 5 hens about a month ago and added 6 more a week or two later. All was going well at first, but we have had a couple of weeks of rainy weather and parts of our coop got wet and the run is also wet and puddly. Now many of the hens are sick. Symptoms are rattly breathing, coughing, sneezing, lethargy and eye bubbles. We have been working on making sure their coop is dry and are feeding them all kinds of herbs that are supposed to help (garlic, sage, rosemary, dill, etc). I have seen people suggesting culling the flock in case of MG, but is that necessary if our only goal is having eggs (no rooster and no hatching if eggs)? Is there anything else we can do for our hens?

I'm sorry...I thought I was posting in the right thread and somehow it is showing up in "hatching". I can't figure out how to move it!
It's showing up in the ER Forums, you've got it right:)

Where are you located in the world?

Symptoms of MG can be treated with an antibiotic like Tylosin, Tetracyclines or Denagard (Tiamulin).
If the eyes are swelling and/or have bubbles, flush with saline. An eye ointment like Terramcyin can be used in the eyes if they are infected.

MG makes birds carriers for life and they could become symptomatic throughout their lifetime during times of stress. It can affect production and egg quality, it's also linked to some reproductive issues later in life (like Salpingitis). Any new birds you add over time could become ill, but they would be considered carriers even if they never become symptomatic.

No one can tell you whether to cull or not. MG is fairly common. If you are keeping a closed flock (not selling/showing), then treating symptoms as they arise may be the management practice you need to follow.

Here's some reading about diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

We are suspecting we are dealing with this as well in our flock. Right now, we are choosing to manage the symptoms as naturally as possible, and using medications if needed. If we lose too many, we might have to start over. Truly heartbreaking, and super frustrating to deal with overall! Our flock is now closed, and we are taking it a few months at a time.

Back
Top Bottom